Notepad++ Hate Thread

Pages: 12
2. Stupid default options. Four space tabs (instead of 8),

Never have I seen an editor that makes 8-space tabs and if I ever did, I'd uninstall immediately. Two spaces is perfect and four is acceptable, but eight is ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't use Notepad++. Tried it once and wasn't a fan (wasn't even sure what role it was trying to fill). Did once use a Notepad replacement that allowed proper text searching through multiple files and directories, plus more neat stuff. Never could remember the name.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
1. Confusing and poorly-organised options menu. I can't blame the Notepad++ developer(s) for coming up with that weird menu which has the rows of tabs that like to shuffle around when you click on one on a different row, but I would if I could, and I can blame them for using it. I can also blame them for not being able to categorise things properly, and for hiding options in illogical places.

Agreed, but not a deal-breaker for me. Once I figured out where everything was, I set and forgot it.

2. Stupid default options. Four space tabs (instead of 8), 100-character vertical column (instead of 80), no "close" button on files, among a lot of other things.

Easy to change, all of these options are available and do only need to do it once and forget it.

3. Seems to forget my settings every week, with a "Unable to load config.xml" (or similar) message, with the option to recover it (which does nothing and apparently is just for show).

This used to happen to me...2 years ago. An update-to-date notepad++ hasn't done this to me, ever.

4. No tooltips (in the preferences menu especially), so if you want to know what the acronyms it uses for no reason mean, you have to Google it (and even then, you might not find out (for example, wtf is "MRU Behaviour"?).

Most Recently Used. The rest of the options always seemed fairly self-explanatory for me, no complaints from me here.

5. It's not gedit.

Good. I hate gEdit, Kate is way better.
I use it for compiling Papyrus scripts for Skyrim.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Gaminic wrote:

Never have I seen an editor that makes 8-space tabs and if I ever did, I'd uninstall immediately. Two spaces is perfect and four is acceptable, but eight is ridiculous.

What ? Tabs are meant for formatting, why even bother using tabs when you can hit space twice ? I'd rather not hit tab 15 times when i need to align something after this friend const SomeClass &.
Good editors can auto-align your code, according to the rules you tell them. At least so does Eclipse and Idea. That's why I prefer IDEs for programming - a simple editor is just not smart enough to understand what I'm doing, and most of the time it gets in the way. Some simple programmer editors *try* to be intelligent on alignment, but they usually don't do that correctly in all cases.
*cough* install vim and set the auto indent options *cough*
http://mateusz.loskot.net/2005/11/06/vim-indentation-for-c-cpp-explained/

So the builtin stuff is pretty limited.
Lets't see if we can boost it somehow...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/387792/vim-indentation-for-c-templates

Oh, so I should write myself a *script* to make it work? Are you kiddin? In my IDE of choice it just *works*.
I suppose that you never use a library.
Jumping into this thread late. I don't have any real beefs with Notepad++, but a friend of mine recommened an up-and-coming replacement called Sublime which supposedly is like a million times better:

http://www.sublimetext.com/
8 space tabs? :O That would just be ridiculous. I can't imagine anything nested in that mess. 4 space tabs is the way to go. 2 space is too small.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Don't ever look at the Linux kernel source then ;)

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle
I've looked at it. I don't mind reading 8 space tabs, but I don't like writing with them. Weird, I know
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
rapidcoder wrote:

Good editors can auto-align your code, according to the rules you tell them. At least so does Eclipse and Idea. That's why I prefer IDEs for programming - a simple editor is just not smart enough to understand what I'm doing, and most of the time it gets in the way. Some simple programmer editors *try* to be intelligent on alignment, but they usually don't do that correctly in all cases.

Well I've used eclipse, not for C++ I don't think it will align this though:

class SomeOtherClass {
    friend const SomeClass &    operator<<( int example );
    int                         abc;
};

There are also a lot of other things I prefer to keep aligned and I've never seen any auto align work the way I want. I also don't like having my code being modified by an ide (if you mean it enforces indentation to a standard and simply not add tabs to match a previous location).

I actually saw someone mention sublime and I'm using it for all my windows programming now. It has everything I need in a nice small package.
To me its the best!!!
You get to know where you opened a block code with the show indent guide option 'n' stuff
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12