Where Can C++ Take an 11 Year Old?

Pages: 123... 5
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Hello, this is Fredbill30 here,

I was wondering were C++ can take me at my age (11). I am an intermediate level programmer in the 7th grade, and I have been programming for about 3-4 months self taught. I am currently creating a game by myself. What I am trying to figure out is where C++ can take me at my age. I have created around 70 programs and I am trying to get into Robotics Club. What I want to do when I get older is to create a software company and a successful game. At my age, do you think I could sell programs, or do something for the school, or get an "apprentice" for a programmer? If so, how could I do it?
How far it takes you is completely up to you. Your age is in no way limiting your programming ability, so how far you get depends on how hard you work.

At my age, do you think I could sell programs, or do something for the school, or get an "apprentice" for a programmer?

You could certainly sell programs (though I advise you to go open-source) if you wanted to. As for doing something for your school, you'd have to ask around. I'm sure people would be happy to let you help if you showed competence.

I'm interpreting "apprentice" as "internship," and unfortunately you probably won't be able to get one at your age.

Good luck.
Last edited on
Thanks, but can you tell me why you suggest me to go open-source?
Open source allows you to work on real world programs, without having to actually get a job with a place and deal with that hassle. Which, at your age, getting a job is kind of impossible at most countries I'd imagine.
Open source allows you to work on real world programs
???
Open source is a kind of software licencing. What are you talking about?
I think you should go open source because it encourages more people to use your program with out the need for you to compete for a market share against companies with million dollar advertisement budgets. It also allows you to join groups of developers relatively easily, this is crucial experience for your portfolio. If you are as capable as you claim, and I am of course skeptical that you are after only 4 months on your own, then exposure should be your goal at this age. Get the "voluntary" internship type crap out of the way before the bills start to stack up. No one will look past your age and hire you, im sorry that's just the world we live in. If I'm right though at the very least joining an OSS team will show you how far you still have to go. Don't get discouraged though C++ isn't HTML, you're not expected to learn it less then half a year.
Open source is a kind of software licencing. What are you talking about?

Ah yea I didn't read the context of it. I just assumed someone told him to work on open source projects, not release a project as open source.
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Open source is a kind of software licencing

In the literal sense maybe; but open source is so much more than a license. It's a culture, a community, a completely different mind-set. It's even a moral/ethical statement for many.
So, you're telling me to work on open-source projects such as Zeq2-Lite? And what age would be the minimum? 15?
There's no age minimum to work on an open source project. Just choose an open source program you use or find interesting, shoot an e-mail to someone who works on the projects and do some bug fixes and other busywork to show them some dedication and before you know it you'll be implementing key features. There's no need to even mention your age.
thats whats great about open source. its just people who love to code making similar programs
Do you understand all of the concepts of the tutorials?
Here are some concepts that I didn't really realize the power of until I learnt them...

- Pointers
- Dynamic memory
- Classes
- Friendship/Inheritance
- Polymorphism
- Templates
- Exceptions

and for a bonus
- Bit shifting

I generally use all of these in most large applications. Bit shifting not so much, but it is still cool to know.
Last edited on
Strongdrink i use most of that execpt for bit shifting in almost any program i put any effort into:P btw im only 15
Last edited on
Even if it's not appropriate?
@supperpiccle Cool beans. Self-taught? High school computer science is horrible from what I have seen of it.

@helios
I generally use all of these in most large applications. Bit shifting not so much

A lot of the time you will catch yourself needing to use most of those techniques when you create a large program.. but again, it probably depends on which type of program you are creating as well.
I was talking about how old I'd be to work on non open-source projects.
Depends. I got a part time job as a junior/apprentice programmer at 15. got offered a full time job at 16, but refused due to still being in school (Also got into university for comp sci at 15, and completed a free MIT course, 6.002x). But it all depends how much you know (you probably wouldn't be able to find a job until you are at least 15 or 16, probably not even still unless you are a crazy good programmer with a lot to show and a hard worker.) Keep pushing at it, work hard,
Also depends on where you live. For example, I live in a relatively small town (also my home town), and there just isn't much of a technology field at all here.
I am in the exact problem you are having buscuit. We don't even have a comp. sci class at all. If i get a part time job(i have already tried) online from usally untrustworthy ppl(i tried twice with everybody quiting just all of a sudden)
I'm not trying to brag, but I guess I' pretty good, I can keep up with my dad in C, even though I mainly use C++, and he goes to ITT Tech to learn C. He's also the top in his class.
Pages: 123... 5