Hurricane Sandy

Pages: 123
Hey now, the trees in my yard lost their leaves like 2 weeks earlier than they should have. What do you mean I overreacted to the storm?? :p

In other news, my cousin who lives in Michigan says her basement has filled with water, even though she has 2 sub pumps. In other other news, I met Benjamin Frickin Franklin!!! (My favorite founding father of all time). I also ended up in a raid on a convoy of British soldiers (1750's, French and Indian War, Braddock's Expedition to be exact) and George Washington was there!! He almost killed me though... had nothing to do with the fact the I had a gun on General Braddock. Greatest game ever, end of story.
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
Lowes sold over 650 generators in my area in a single day thanks to the paranoia spread via "authorities" and social networking.

You can't really believe that. 650 generators is a lot of stock for a store to have on hand. Come on tell the truth you just made that number up.
While it is true that various people and entities will take advantage of Sandy for their own personal gain, there actually are a lot of people in bad situations because of what Sandy did and I think you're just ignoring her altogether. Ignoring hurricanes is not nice, especially female ones.
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
You can't really believe that. 650 generators is a lot of stock for a store to have on hand. Come on tell the truth you just made that number up.

That number is not from a single warehouse, but from the combination of all Lowes warehouses from my general area ( ~ 50 miles, more specifically, the Corning/Painted Post/Horseheads/Elmira areas in addition to the smaller towns in-between ). This number was made known to me by means of a local radio station[1] (which was also, by chance, part of the reason that such paranoia had spread about this storm...). I simply find it ridiculous that humanity has degraded to the point where social networking can bring society it to its knees in a matter of hours. I really do fear how people will behave surrounding the "next big doomsday"...especially when the media gets through with the population.

@LB, yes I am sort of ignoring the people that Sandy did hurt and there is a good reason for that. Percentage-wise, the people that Sandy did hurt is so miniscule to the number of people that weren't at all affected and were warned that they would be. Localized measures should have been taken (namely, the coastal areas), but as far as 400 miles inland? I'm no meteorologist, but from what I've heard from all of the people that I know from the north-east, it really wasn't that bad.

1 http://www.94rockfm.com/ (note the main-page section on the hurricane, even approaching 36 hours after it landed and faded from recent memory....milking the event to the bitter end.)
Last edited on
Ah, sorry for being reactive. Yes, there is a lot of overreaction by some people.
I haven't heard of this hurricane before.
It's probably because you're from Burnham, UK.
although the 'on-sea' part of Burnham is purely decorative - a bit like syntactic sugar
Last edited on
Overreaction played for me a little bit on monday -- CT and NY roads were perfectly empty by noon, after massive rumors that the highways and bridges were closed, and I had 150 miles to go to get back to my Long Island house and pick up a couple flooded friends along the way (we're all still in that house, with no power anywhere for miles)
being prepared is never a bad thing..
we were all prepared, and the areas that got hit the hardest (ex. new york, new jersey) were just the unlucky ones. How were people supposed to know that there would be little to no damage in their area?

protecting our lives and our homes comes first before senseless pride.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
It saddens me to see people mock this storm and underplay the destruction that it did. Last I checked there were over 40 people dead in the US from this storm, MILLIONS without power, gas stations have no gas, people have no food, and another storm is coming and without power it is going to get really cold and people and freeze to death. I understand that in some areas it is not that bad but please dont forget about all the people out there that are still fighting for their lives because of this storm and have nothing.
This is why I won't live on the east coast
@ResidentBiscuit
Hurricanes on the east coast happen far less frequently then tornadoes in the mid west.
Well, tornadoes tend to affect a much smaller area than hurricanes do. I've lived in Kansas my whole life (which is considered prime tornado territory) and never had a tornado remotely affect me.
@prototype151
That is an incredibly insensitive way of thinking. People lost loved ones, people lost homes, billions of dollars in damage. It is pretty easy to say we should all live for ourselves in this " survival of the fittest system" you speak of when your survival isn't the one on the line. One day you may be in a situation where your survival depends on someone else, I wonder how you feel of that system of thought then.
I could say a lot more...

You could, perhaps, benefit from the maxim:

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"
prototype151 wrote:
You see all of that water that just flooded your area? Its called a boat, its called all those materials around you to build a boat with.
So you're saying that flood water is a boat, and that boats can be built out of flood water? The logical conclusion being that some boats are made out of boats; not out of disassembled boats, but out of boats.

Your appalling misuse of sarcasm aside, you're a goddamn moron (not that they're unconnected).
I suppose you think you can just throw your TV and maybe your fridge onto the water and make a raft out of that. Either that or you expect everyone to stock up on boat-building materials and tools and store them in the top floor of the house (if they had that much forethought, why they didn't just buy an inflatable boat or a canoe is unknown).

prototype151 wrote:
(yes I realize there is a big river with a huger rip current and what not leading to the ocean.) You could solve that...
Man stuck in the middle of the ocean said:
Oh, solve that. Well, duh, why didn't I think of that? I was just going to drift some more until the ocean decided to toss me back ashore or I died of dehydration, but solving this sounds much better. Thanks!

prototype151 wrote:
find a motor or something...
I mean, if you're so much of a dumbass that you can't find an outboard motor and fuel and figure out how to secure the motor to your makeshift raft before you drift out to sea, you really just deserve to die.
@helios,

This made me lol.
You could probably get a fridge to float if you put it in door-up so the water didn't get in, but Idk how water tight and buoyant those things are. I think CRT TVs do as well. It's worth a try, anyway. With a fridge you get the bonus of there being food (unless it's my fridge which is pretty much perpetually empty).

The best solution, however, would be to make houses buoyant so that when there's a flood, they just float on top of the water. Every house would effectively be a house-boat. Or use a system of balloons like in Pixar's Up.
Last edited on
You could probably get a fridge to float if you put it in door-up

I feel like a fridge wouldn't be buoyant enough for that, although that would be an awesome boat if it worked.

The best solution, however, would be to make houses buoyant so that when there's a flood, they just float on top of the water. Every house would effectively be a house-boat

This is even better. Though there may be the issue of houses floating in every which direction, causing multiple house-collisions. Not sure if that would be covered under boaters insurance, or house insurance. Hmm
Pages: 123