Looking for a programming buddy..

Pages: 123
I am in too :)
We should have a forum, but with a im box at the bottom of the page, or on a seperate page of the same site

ooh, i found something, heres a demo:
http://www.exampleprogramminggroup.webs.com/

its just an example of a chat thing, either me or someone else'll have to setup a site for it and a forum
Last edited on
Hey guys.
If you are looking for a community where you can work on projects together, have a forum for your project and individual forums for each member (sorta like a forum-based blog), and an IRC chat room, check out http://www.cppbeginners.com
When you join there, if you want to start a new project or sub-group, you can send the admins a message and they will set it up for you with mod rights, etc. You can also subscribe to individual threads, or subscribe to the whole boards via RSS.
There is also an associated Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/cplusplus-beginners where you can find materials, source files, and discussions.
The best part: zero advertising. It's a community site for the purpose of community and does not compete financially with any other sites. If cppbeginners.com doesn't meet all your needs for your projects, let the admins there know what you want or need, and they will make it happen. It's worth a look.
cppbeginners.com refers its members to cplusplus.com for technical questions, but the sites are otherwise unrelated.
This is not a recruitment advertisement. It doesn't matter if you join or not because there is nothing to gain or lose by your enrollment. But if you really are looking to establish a group around your project and have all the bells and whistles, I think it's worth considering.
I am glad we have many different nationalities because we can do multiple languages , however it has drawbacks such as I have only talked to Oromis and even then it was midnight so I think we should get a group somewhere and first we need a name for ourselves Our company (if we plan on doing more than 1 game) and a name for our game it should be more or less something mystic or interesting since we are probably going to be doing a medieval game ... unless it was a futuristic game I think poke should be a main coordinator of stuff like this
lol didn't realize it was this long
Mainly we just need a name because I can create a google group account but we need a group name first
If you are using freewebs to chat, I have found the shoutbox they offer to be more useful than the chat room. But I have used both and have both already set up.
Nice to see lots of interest here.

Yes, I think having both a forum and chat would be a fantastic idea, now all we need is someone to do that for us hehe. Just kidding, I have messed around with stuff like Vanilla before, so I might be able to set this up provided we get a good host. Its been years since I've done that however, and I'm not really good at it so if anyone here has experience with phpBB and the like you could give me a hand. I think that would be better than a Google group, but if left with no choice we could go for that also.

Well DrChill, I think we're a little too inexperienced right now to start a company and make games and all that, and although I do have some ideas it'll be years before I can acquire the skill required to make such a thing. Anyway, I think that we're better off trying some small, classic projects like Tetris, Pong, Nibbles, Tic-Tac-Toe and maybe even chess. That's interesting, don't you think?

As for having multiple programming languages on our forum that's a nice idea. I've been experimenting with Ruby lately and I'm surprised as to how easy it is. I could probably start messing with Ruby/SDL within a few days of learning.

awasteoflife I love that chat box thing, it would be great if we could get it set up in a part of our forum but I fear its based off IRC which means we would have to register a channel and do some other stuff which I have no idea how to do lol.

MMJZ, could you show us an example of the chat service your talking about?

As for me, my exams will end tomorrow and after that I'll have all the time in the world to get a forum set up so hold on tight for a while guys.

Ganellon, its nice of you to offer, but while most of us here are fairly new to game programming we already know C++ fairly well and from what I see your site is mainly geared towards beginners who are just learning C++. Its also not focused on game programming, which is what all of us are really interested in. In any case, thank you for your generous offer.

Anyway guys its been nice to see you people showing interesting in my idea. I hope we can get a community up and running in a few days, or a week in the maximum.
Last edited on
Here is the example you wanted: http://s13.zetaboards.com/JDonalds_Forums/index/

Let me know what you think of it.
Thats not bad, but personally, I liked awasteoflife's one better. Maybe thats because I'm fond of IRC, but in any case, the Java one looks and feels more 'live', if you get what I mean. Or maybe if this one was larger, I think that would be good enough. And it was on a separate page.

I also liked a lot about this one http://www.xat.com/web_gear/chat.php
except for the ugly theme and huge smilies.
@poke386:
Thats the one! xat is what i was looking for, but couldn't remember the name.
Also the thing was really easy to setup. I did it using: http://www.chatweasels.com/addchat/

But I definately think we should make games, even if they're fairly simple.
Anything finalized yet guys?
I think we've settled on a forum AND a chat box.

We also need a name for it...
Last edited on
We could call it Emerald then have a large collection of green themes and gems
If we ever make a game company (not the forum thing) then my idea for a name is Random Comment Productions, I just like the name.

the name for the forum thing could either be some sort of programming related thing or simly what it is (like Beginner Game Programming Board)
Any chat room wouldn't be too difficult to embed into a webpage or even a forum. How about we decide on a name last? The name will surface on its own based on what we develop. That way the name fits our programs and doesn't just seem out there.

@Poke
The shoutbox wasn't specifically what I was meaning. I was meaning that whole forum. It already has a shoutbox, forum and a chatroom although the chat room needs to be updated which is easy to do. Webpages can be built into that forum pretty easy and custom skins for the board with their own logos can be made as well.
Last edited on
yes but we can't make a site, forum or anything until we have a name
I'm talking about the website name btw
Last edited on
Evanity Games? lol, anyway, I think the forum and chat room are important. So its decided then, we'll use xat to chat (pun intended) and zetaboards for our forum. Let me go set one up now.

Anyway, since the name doesn't really matter, lets just call it Evanity Games. It doesn't even mean anything, just something that popped into my head, and I guess it should be sufficient.
Here you go :
http://s1.zetaboards.com/Evanity_Games/index/

However, MMJZ, do you know to change the theme? If so register there and I'll admin you.

There's still some work to be done, but right now its usable, and we can begin our projects right away. I've also managed to get a chat up and running, thanks to the great link that awasteoflife gave me. Check it out. So everyone please register there and start posting!
Im called RandomComment on there. please people join i've got no-one to talk to
Yeah, I know how to do a lot with Zetaboards. Everything you saw in the link I posted was stuff that I created because that was my forum.
Last edited on
Pages: 123