• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Do you listen to music while programming

Do you listen to music while programming? If so, what music?

closed account (ETAkoG1T)
I like listening to gangnam style, linkin park and some game themes like morrowind's theme.
Great! A new concept! Just add into my favorite song list... :)
I love hip hop dance and hip hop musics, but at work I like hearing background musics...
I do. Usually a mix of Tech N9ne, Whitechapel, Opeth, Devil Wears Prada, Job for a Cowboy, and Immortal Technique. I just put my iTunes on shuffle all. I used to have much more and an actual programming playlist, but I wiped my HDD on accident awhile back and haven't gotten around to putting all my music back on. I also listen to just Pandora sometimes.
I do, but that might just be because there is ALWAYS music going. Well, that, video game sounds or tv. silence doesn't happen with me.
Is there a way to generate random nice background music? :)
I'm sure there is, and figuring out how to do it is what comp sci is all about.
I listen to anything and everything. I listen to even wrestling themes from WWE and WCW. Right now I'm coding a simple game that looks more like a collision detection test and listening to Lady Gaga, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Uncle Kracker, and Eminem.
@BHX, heh still playing around with collision? If you want any help let me know, I'd be glad to help. Can't guarantee anything but I find it an interesting problem with many solutions, and an extra set of eyes can help.
o Lady Gaga, Carrie Underwood, Kellie Pickler, Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Uncle Kracker, and Eminem.

That is one heavily varied taste you got there.
How do you add sound to a program in c++? I want to make a sound mixing program
@Filiprei,

There's many libraries out there for this. I don't know any audio specific libraries, but there are multimedia libs you could just use the audio headers of.
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
@BHX, heh still playing around with collision? If you want any help let me know, I'd be glad to help. Can't guarantee anything but I find it an interesting problem with many solutions, and an extra set of eyes can help.

heh no, I was doing a entry for a small competition at Moosader.com where we could only use one button or a mouse button or mouse movement and play the villain at the same time. So I made a simple game and sadly due to my time I never got it finished in time although I am still putting last touches on it.
Cheraphy wrote:
That is one heavily varied taste you got there.

Yep, when I say I love all music I really mean it.
How do you use a lib?
Sometimes I try to put up some music, then I realize that I get distracted by it or don't listen to it because I'm too focused, which leads to stopping either programming or listening
Trance music all the way! Anything from cathartic mini-symphonies, to ambient instrumental, usually electronic. Like, Boards of Canada, and Carbon Based Lifeforms. I seem to be able to concentrate so much more with it playing in the background.
I mostly listen to different types of ambient music while I program; that is, if I choose to listen to music at all. I'll post some YouTube links to some of my favorite musicians to listen to below.

Field Rotation-Acoustic Tale 2-->http://youtu.be/DDwMCh8X9_w
(This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I highly recommend you purchase it!)

Robert Rich-Somnium-->http://youtu.be/_Ld5uEuA0Fg
(Another favorite of mine; it's very peaceful and medatative)

Thom Brennan-The Secret Faith of Salamanders-->http://youtu.be/iVS2YIit-Yg
(This is a really pleasant album to listen to: it's nice background music that helps me concentrate)
I (usually) concentrate better while listening to music, so yes, I listen to music while programming.

And since I'm too lazy to list artists and bands, I'll just say that what I listen to varies between melodic deathmetal, punk and metalcore/post-hardcore/screamo.
I listen to stuff without vocals when I program. I find that vocals tend to distract me (as in, I like to sing along), but I can concentrate easily listening to non-vocal songs. I like techno, dubstep and epic music (mainly Two Steps From Hell). If you've never heard Two Steps From Hell, listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNvyeGJysq0 (Put to Assassin's Creed 3, completely epic).
I like listening to rap battles :) (epic rap battles of history)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.