Buying a domain

Pages: 12
I'm about to buy a domain for my website. My (free) host is atspace.com and I can order a domain through them for 16 bucks a year. However, GoDaddy offers this service for 8.99 a year.

Now my question: Can I buy the domain through GoDaddy and use it with atspace.com ?

I don't really know but if this can help you, If you don't need PHP or server-side scripts, you can host it by yourself on Dropbox and use Kissr.com to make your URL's look better.

Like, I have my dropbox folders like this:

Documents/Dropbox/Apps/KISSr/sgh.kissr.com/(Website Files)

Whenever I need to edit the website I edit them on my pc, and when you open Dropbox they will get updated.

Then from the external side you only need to go to http://sgh.kissr.com (Warning: Italian) which is kinda nice as it doesn't include any ads or something you don't need and it's free, but it's not useful as there's no Server-Side scripts like PHP and there's still the .kissr.com unless you pay for a domain, but in that case you better buy a domain yourself as it goes from 10$ a month.

Again, I don't have an answer for your question but I wanted to be useful and give an alternative.

If you are interested you can look into:

http://www.dropbox.com/
http://www.kissr.com/
Last edited on
closed account (iw0XoG1T)
I have had very bad experience with GoDaddy and would strongly suggest that you do not use them. They charged my credit card for services that I did not request and now it looks like I may have to take them to court to get my money back.

I believe their business model is to offer a very cheap introduction price and then to charge you for additional services. It seems if you don't purchase the services they provide, they still bill and charge for them.

Please let me repeat, GoDaddy is NOT A RESPECTABLE company.
Last edited on
Thanks for the advice guys!

EssGeEich, I have a subdomain under atspace already and that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I want my own domain :)
Ah, got it, but, sorry - I can't help you with that :|
A good friend of mine owns his own advertising company, and part of that entails creating websites for clients. He uses GoDaddy and has had no issues with them.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I have been hosting my website and other services with GoDaddy for about a year now and I have personally had a great experience with them. They are very helpful with customer service and have a great community to help you through problems. So I would recommend them.

Please let me repeat, GoDaddy is NOT A RESPECTABLE company.

This is simply not true, you might have had a bad experience with them but it doesn't mean they are not a respectable company. Millions of people use GoDaddy and if they weren't respectable they wouldn't still have them customers with all the other hosting services available.
Last edited on
I have two domains through godaddy and no host space. http://www.clayton-weaver.com was for a portfolio site and http://www.specterent.com was to be for my online gaming company site. When I ran into money trouble I kept domains paid, but dropped the hosting so now they just point to GD pages for now.

Out of all the trouble people have had with GoDaddy, I've not had a single issue with them and I've had those domains for a few years now.
Zero wrote:
I have been hosting my website and other services with GoDaddy for about a year now

You will probably soon regret making this post. I didn't have a problem with them until I tried to close my account at the end of my contract.

As for customer service--I found that I recieved none. I was only able to talk to a kid -- who was nice but had no authority nor was able or willing to give the name of someone in authority.

When you can't contact the manager/supervior/owner/boss you can bet you are dealing with criminals.

Don't be so sure about them just because they have not stole from you yet. Use this company if you like but you have been warned.
Now that is a bit out there but ok. Like I have stated before just because you had a bad experience with a company doesn't mean they are a bad company, and that everyone else will have a bad experience with them. Who knows maybe the kid that you talked to that day was new and had no idea what he was doing, or he was just a idiot. I don't blame you for not wanted to use the company again but going out blantantly telling people that GoDaddy will steal your money and that they are criminals and they are not a respectable company is just complete lies. You are entitled to your opinions and I respect them but there are plenty of people who have had a great experience with them and would give them a A+. I count myself among them and plan to use them for the foreseeable future.
Zero wrote:
telling people that GoDaddy will steal your money

I don't remember saying that? I think what I said was that they charged me for services they I did not request.

I said GoDaddy is not respectable because a respectable company returns your money when they bill you incorrectly and they don't make you take them to court.

Also, they will return my money--I know that. At this present point in time nobody has even reviewed my problem. They could not because they refused to allow me to talk to anyone but a kid who did not even have the authority to access my information. All he could do is help me use the services I did not purchase.

You don't have to threaten repectable business people they are interested in helping.

Do you by any chance work for them--because your defense is a bit unusal, and why would you accuse me slander?
I don't remember saying that? I think what I said was that they charged me for services they I did not request.

You said.
Don't be so sure about them just because they have not stole from you yet.
which implies that you expect them to steal from other people.

They could not because they refused to allow me to talk to anyone but a kid who did not even have the authority to access my information. All he could do is help me use the services I did not purchase.

I highly doubt they refused you from talking to a supervisor or someone else. I have dealt with them many times and have always been able to get transferred to tech support, billing and other departments. I'm sorry but it just does not seem likely that they would just keep you on the phone with one person, and even if they did wouldn't you call back later or was it still the same person?

Do you by any chance work for them--because your defense is a bit unusal, and why would you accuse me slander?

I do not work for them, and personally the only reason I am defending them is because I have been a happy customer of theirs for a while now.
Last edited on
Zero wrote:
Reviews on the internet can kill a company very easily even if they are false

Very true, they can kill a company. That is why it is considered bad business for respectable companies not to handle this type of problem promptly. The fact they refused to talk to me indicates that they don't care.

Understand that the amount of money I am talking about is less than professional would earn in a couple of hours--So why would they simply not return the money? Remember you prepay with GoDaddy and I never used the service, I never used the service, and I contacted them the same day I saw the unauthorized charge on my credit card.

I had the credit card place a hold on the payment. They responded to the credit card company that they have a no refund policy that is clearly stated in their terms of service.

BUT I NEVER REQUESTED THIS SERVICE, so it is not a refund it is an improper billing.

So why is GoDaddy doing this:

1.) They don't care enough to review my problem.
2.) False billing is a major source of revenue.

Please understand my goal is not just to get my money back--becuase it is a trival amount. My Goal is to chase away more business from them than they would get simple by acting like a respectable company.

You are defending a company the you don't even have one-year of history with. You do understand that your rates will go up three-fold at the end of your first-year. They don't hide their rates--I hope you read your contract.

I implied that criminals don't care about customer service--and stated that GoDaddy has provided me with no customer service. I also stated that this company was unwilling to talk to me, but willing to talk to my credit card company.

I have two hours invested fighting with this company, and will probably have another two until they realize that I will cost them more than it is worth. Yes, I will lose money to keep them from getting away with this.

Last edited on
Sigh have it your way then but I still believe they are a decent company anf would recommend them to anyone.
I've seen these claims of GoDaddy being a terrible company. I've had a domain with them since April 2008 and I've never had issues with them charging for things I didn't use and I've never had issues with customer service.

Only reason I dropped their hosting was because it was a waste due to not using it. If I could find a free service that is just as good I'd use it for hosting so I wouldn't be paying for something I didn't use much. Never had anything to put on the space and mainly just kept changing site layout and such.
For free hosting, I've used byethost (not bytehost) and 000webhost and they were both okay. You sort of get what you pay for, though.
Only thing I need is (at the most) PHP and MySQL database. I've dabbled with CSS and XML, but yet to use it in a site effectively. I'm not needing anything major for it, though, right now again, I have nothing to put on it so I'm just browsing options.
Both of the free hosting companies I mentioned support PHP and MySQL so that's no problem. Even better (easier), install Ubuntu on a virtual machine and install Apache (or lighttpd), PHP, MySQL and PHPMyAdmin.
I had bad experiences with 000webhost as it keeps going down easily if too many users are connected - but it's a server limitation.
My only "bad experience" with them was when I wrote a PHP script to send emails in an infinite loop. Needless to say I was banned (and rightly so).
Pages: 12