What language was the matrix coded in?

Was it C++? How would the film roll if they used java?
If it was in Java it'd pause every few seconds for GC.

Thinking about it, though, I imagine that a system like that would be highly parallel (lots of threads and processor cores), and for that you would use a functional programming language like Erlang or Haskell. If you used a language like C++ or Java which allows mutable state, there would probably be a lot more bugs in the Matrix (the only one I remember is deja vu, and that wasn't a coding bug, it was just the time taken for the system to update itself when something was changed). Since their system was also very network-based, I'm going with Erlang.
Last edited on
chrisname wrote:
If it was in Java it'd pause every few seconds for GC.
From within a simulation, can you be aware of when the simulation is suspended? When it is saved? When it is reloaded?

In terms of real life, we could actually be in a simulation. We don't know the laws of physics of the thing simulating our existence, and we certainly can't tell if we get paused, saved/loaded, or if we're taking a long time to compute each keyframe.

EDIT: I don't recall in the movies how time in the matrix compared to time in the supposed real life.
Last edited on
L B wrote:
From within a simulation, can you be aware of when the simulation is suspended? When it is saved? When it is reloaded?

No, I suppose not, but from the outside you would be able to tell.

In terms of real life, we could actually be in a simulation. We don't know the laws of physics of the thing simulating our existence, and we certainly can't tell if we get paused, saved/loaded, or if we're taking a long time to compute each keyframe.

You're right, it's impossible to tell from within the simulation.

I don't recall in the movies how time in the matrix compared to time in the supposed real life.

I assume it's supposed to be the same, but I guess it doesn't make a difference since they can't tell anyway. I think it stays in 1999 though because the machines thought that was the golden era of mankind or something (I don't get why they didn't set it in ancient Greece but I guess that would've been a different story).
The Matrix was coded in raw machine code, duh!
This thread just blew my mind.
This thread just blew my mind.
I thought you were being sarcastic but then i read it, and now i agree.

Why they had to make 1999 and not "everlasting happy rave world" I dont think they covered verywell
I had just never thought about The Matrix like that.
Why they had to make 1999 and not "everlasting happy rave world" I dont think they covered verywell

Because everyone started waking up when they tried that.
Creating The Matrix is my ultimate goal in life. I want to be their god.

There, I said it.
Just play The Sims or something.
"If it was in Java it'd pause every few seconds for GC."

Laughed a bit harder at that than I should have.
The Matrix was coded in raw machine code, duh!

Of course. That's the only language that they un-naturally understand. And of course they don't naturally anything.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.