Is there maths in computer science? yes and maths is awesome

I hope any one google-ing "I want to code/program but im not good/bad at maths" comes across what i have to say first, I was afraid and I just been doing a few lessons on free site www.mathtutor.ac.uk and im having soooo much fun, its really exiting and is fun for the same reason coding is fun...satisfying results.

Please don't think you cant do it or are bad at it, there is no type that is bad at maths! maths could be a hobby and im totaly serious.

Anyone else want to point out how much fun maths is? it may even be more fun than trying to make games in batch
I haven't spent much time there but khanacademy.org seems pretty cool.
it may even be more fun than trying to make games in batch
what
Math is the universal language.
Math is the key to unlock the universe's mysteries, and people used math to make the key to your front door.
It's too easy to convert decimal into hexadecimal, binary to decimal and vice versa on paper. Subnetting is also fun. Math is the key!
Last edited on
Math is awesome.
It doesn't start getting real awesome until you start with calculus and then everything you've ever learned in maths starts to make sense. And then after that happens it starts not making sense again as you learn more. But that's part of the adventure.
Maybe I have a habit of finding joy in everything I do, but it seems to me that every couple weeks while i'm in my maths class just getting my mind absolutely blown; like, I could feel the head change happen. Lol.
I dunno, I enjoy it.
closed account (18hRX9L8)
AHCFan20 wrote:
I haven't spent much time there but khanacademy.org seems pretty cool.

Yes, KhanAcademy is pretty good. I have created a lot of programs to solve over 100s of exercises. Its so fun!!
Project euler ftw!
Just don't divide by zero...
I study a lot of math in my free time, so I thought this would be a good place to post a few good resources I know of:

Khan Academy, as previously mentioned, is good. It's simple to understand, and he's got videos on everything up to partial differential equations, as far as I'm aware.

https://www.khanacademy.org/

There is another site that is a university site, but the notes available are good, covers linear algebra, Calc one through three, and even differential equations. There are practice problems available for everything up to Calc I.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Wikibooks also covers many math topics, although the writing is typically not the most understandable, but a good resource none-the-less.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Subject:Mathematics

Wikipedia is good too, just for reference. I also have a few books I would recommend.

This is a good text, but requires that you know a good deal of algebra, and geometry.
Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach

Another good book, although this starts from the bare minimum of mathematical knowledge. By bare minimum I mean addition.
The Calculus Direct: An intuitively Obvious Approach to a Basic Understanding of the Calculus for the Casual Observer

You may have noticed that I study Calculus the most, what can I say; I'm a sucker for change :p

Edit: How could I forget Donald Knuth? Another book for ya:
Concrete Mathematics: A Foundation for Computer Science
Last edited on
hehe nice to see so much appreciation for math :)

What do you guys think about teaching calculus with slides (from either side of the coin)?
Last edited on
I am just interested. What areas of mathematics should I study if I would like to grasp mathematical concepts of:

1) Computer Science
2) Maths Olympiads/Competitions
For math olympiads you should study specialized problem solving collections - you should ask around your "math team coach" for such a problem collection (with solutions).
I do not have a "math team coach" or anything remotely like it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.