C++ programming on a Mac OS 10.4.11

Hi,

I am new to the Mac OS. And I am a C++ enthusiast. I have no idea how to install packages (found mostly xcode package when I browsed through the internet) to do C++ on my OS 10.4.11. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me a STEP BY STEP guidance of how and what needs to be installed to successfully write and run C++ programs (mostly mathematical).

I tried installing xcode reading some forums and blogs earlier into my system. Installation went good. I could write my programs and build them. However, to check the outputs I need to run them and therein lies the problem. The 'run' option is inactive. I browsed through the internet again and I found somewhere that one needs to install the latest gcc terminal, so that the output is displayed in that terminal. But unfortunately that was not successful.

So, it would be great if someone could come up with some installation tips. It's not absolutely necessary that I prefer xcode to do C++, I would like to do JUST C++ and for that whatever installation is easier I would go for that happily.

Thank you so much.

Ankush.
Isn't 10.4 quite old by now?

XCode is primarily an IDE. Depending on version it has different compiler by default. On later OSX some "command line tools" package installs only command line compiler (GCC, IIRC) without the IDE. Not sure what was in 10.4.

A terminal application may be part of X11 subsystem and is totally unrelated to compilers.
1. There's no reason to be stuck on Tiger, even if you're using PPC hardware. You should upgrade to Leopard.

2. Forget XCode. If you're using old hardware, it'll spend all it's time trying to be nice to the GUI. You're going to have to get your hands dirty. You will need to install XCode though.

3. So find a simple editor that you can use.

4. Your public domain packages will come from 2 sources, MacPorts and Fink. I use Fink as my primary source, and use MacPorts when a package doesn't appear in Fink.

5. You can start by installing a recent GCC, like 4.8 or 4.9.
Thanks nice information sharing for you...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.