linux

can anyone suggest how should i start learning for linux?
What do you mean by "learning for linux"?

Running live distros allows quick peeks, but for more continuous use install as virtual machine (provided that your current system has support for VM's).
Last edited on
Why VM? If you really want to learn Linux, install it and use as your main OS.

If you make excuses to not use it, you will learn less than when you're forced to find out how to do some things in there.
Aside from that,learn coreutils, read grymoire, and then learn whatever helps you to being more productive.
I recommend not using Ubuntu. I first started using Ubuntu but I didn't learn that much because it's very stable and has a lot of GUI tools so you are not forced to use the command line that much. When I started to use Arch Linux I learned a lot more. Even the installation process is a lot of work if you have never done it before. The packages are also much more up-to-date, which means it can be a bit unstable. In the end I got tired of things stopping to work just because I ran an update (pacman -Syu) so nowadays I use Debian but as a learning tool I think Arch was great. Gentoo is another Linux distribution that you might want to try, if you feel you have a lot of patience that is. ;)
Last edited on
I recommend buying a raspberry pi (2B+), and installing Arch Linux.

I wouldn't go with a VM, I would go install linux though you might want to dual boot so you can use windows for stuff that linux does not support, such as the lack of support for many games(You can us wine to get some games working). And using something new can take a little time to get used to. I started off with Ubuntu, it was user friendly. I started doing little stuff with the terminal just by googling the description of it. E.g How to install Jdk on ubuntu.

I later went on to linux mint because I had seen it very appealing( I know I could've gotten cinnamon on ubuntu but I just wanted to try out another flavour of Linux). Which I would recommend for you to start with now. It is very similar to windows(I presume you are a windows user). It is based on Ubuntu(excluding LMDE which is based on Debian(what Ubuntu is based off)) so you get Update Manager, software manager and so on. You should start with simple stuff and slowly go into more detail.

If you would like a book the go with The Linux Command Line. You can pick up a printed version or get a free pdf on its main site: http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

TheNewBoston aka Bucky has also recently started tutorials on using the Terminal. Here is the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gx4Cwl9DGCkg2uj3PxUWhMDuTw3VKjM

I started a very long time ago but I still remember that I used to tell myself that I couldn't learn all these commands and so. Though it just came naturally after. Good Luck!!!

Edited to rephrase
Last edited on
I wouldn't go with a VM, I would go install linux though you might want to dual boot so you can use windows for stuff that linux does not support, such as games.

wat?
A) thats not a reason to not use a VM
B) A VM is great to get a feel for linux without actually committing to it
C) Linux does support games... I'm not sure who told you it doesn't...

After getting board with ubuntu I went to try out linux mint. Which I would recommend for you to start with now. It is very similar to windows

*bored. They are similar in the same way a nail gun and a saw are...
A) thats not a reason to not use a VM

The OP wanted to learn linux, so why not install it and use it most of the time.

B: I totally agree!
C) Linux does support games... I'm not sure who told you it doesn't...

I obviously phrased that wrong, I will correct myself.

*bored. They are similar in the same way a nail gun and a saw are...

I shouldn't have used the work bored, I just meant use something a little different, try out something different, again I will correct myself.
Last edited on
Anyway, Ubuntu is good starting place, move to Debian later(preferably Sid). Don't listen to madmen talking about installing gentoo - I have been using Linux for over 2 years as a normal user, and after I was confident in it, I moved on to installing gentoo. It's very hard to me - a user who has some experience in Linux. For you, it would be nightmare, and after few days of sitting in console and wondering why nothing's working, you'd just give up on linux completely.

Ubuntu or Debian for starters, then you might want to try some more advanced distros when you feel that you need it or/and are ready for it.

You might alternatively try some debian remix - I'd recommend Crunchbang with Sid(I somewhat explained how to do that for Jessie in my blog post at http://shebangdiary.blogspot.com ;but doing that for Sid is almost the same.

To sum things up, you should go full-time Linux user, but don't make it too easy, nor too hard for yourself. You don't want distro that will mimic windows, since it's pointless; grab some nice Linux and force yourself to use it whenever you can; soon you'll learn that it increases your productivity, and after few months you will regret that you didn't switch earlier.
Last edited on
few days of sitting in console and wondering why nothing's working

This is where one wants to have a working system and the study system simultaneously. Hence the VM.

The benefit of VM is that one does not have to purchase more hardware, nor repartition the disk. IME, a typical Windows user (and many Linux users) have no comprehension on what a disk partitioning is and involves. VM is thus a safe way to start. You don't want your only computer to be with no functional OS.

The downside of VM is that one has to learn to use one and one needs hardware that supports it. However, learning virtualization is not a waste of time in itself.

Personal preferences on how to study are a different matter. Perhaps some students need a dominatrix with a whip in order to keep the their eyes on the workbook?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.