How do i create my own game engine from scratch with C++

So i was searching for answer for this question and i didn't find any good answers even not helping with anything else saying thats its better to use linux for this.I got my linux ubuntu 17.04 and everything works just fine and i got like 1-2 months of experience of c++. I was learning everything from internet and i got some kind of a skill and i know if you can show me an answer for my question and if you i will be less beginner more advanced right?Just to be clear i am 12 years old.So i hope you can show me a site where you make your game engine from scratch without using any libraries like:
SDL2, SDL, SFML, OpenGL, Glew, freeglut, Direct3D, DirecX and so on.
I know that i'll have to progamm in c++ for a long time but i hope you can give me a link or something so i can make my own game engine.
the engine will render lines,rects, triangels and so on and that you can clear everything drawed on the screen so you can make ilusion of moving.

thanks in advance
Hi,

That is a HUGE undertaking, I don't think you realize the enormity of what your are asking. What is your motivation for wanting to re invent the wheel is such a massive fashion? The frameworks and libraries that already exist are there for a reason: to avoid having to do hundreds of PersonYears of work yourself. It a bit like saying you want to be an astronaut, without realizing what the prerequisites for that are, and saying you want to build your own rocket as well !

That said, there are Game Engines like Unreal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine

With this, you could make your own Game

Good Luck !!
i didn't find any good answers even not helping with anything else saying thats its better to use linux for this.I got my linux ubuntu 17.04

IMO Linux is a bad choice for a beginner, you can do more f***ups than on windows because you have access behind the scenes (even if it's safer than windows in general). Also, you just crossed out the option of using DirectX, since it's windows specific.

I'm not saying by any means that it's a bad idea to learn Linux.

So i hope you can show me a site where you make your game engine from scratch without using any libraries like:
SDL2, SDL, SFML, OpenGL, Glew, freeglut, Direct3D, DirectX and so on.

What do you mean without these libraries?

OpenGL is an industry standard developed by a board composed of representatives of the biggest software and hardware manufacturers (Khronos Group). I guarantee you already have it, even if you don't know. It's as low level as you can get (excluding Vulkan, which is still developed by the same consortium), without dabbling into hardware or mode 13h (I'm not even sure you can still use mode 13h on modern OS, would be glad if someone could lighten me up on this).

DirectX is an windows specific "version" of OpenGL, but it also has support for more than graphics, stuff like DirectSound for audio. Direct3D is a part of DirectX. Glew is a wrangler library for OpenGL, the rest are higher-level wrappers or utility libraries.

the engine will render lines,rects, triangels and so on and that you can clear everything drawed on the screen so you can make ilusion of moving.

I gotta burst your bubble, but what I can recommend you is to use a high-level library, maybe just ditch c++ for now and use something like Python, it has the tkinter module which will give you a very user-friendly interface for basic drawing like this. Then as you get more knowledgeable move onto more advanced and low level stuff like OpenGL or DirectX.
Last edited on
What I thought when I read this is basically the same as what everyone else is thinking, a full game engine is a massive undertaking that could take hundreds of man-hours to complete. Can you please give us some insight into why you want to write your own game engine?

A game engine is basically just a collection of different utilities If you wanted to learn about graphics programming (which is a subset of game engine development that involves this kind of thing) then maybe you could start by writing your own small software renderer or something similar? (A software rendering tutorial that looks like a good introduction: http://joshbeam.com/articles/simple_line_drawing/ ). If you're interested in that kind of thing then Google around, I'm sure you'll find some helpful information! :D

If you just want to be able to make your own games, then writing your own game engine is probably overkill at the moment, and it would probably be better to use an already-established game engine, such as the Unreal Engine which was mentioned above, to make your games.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.