#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <fstream.h>
#include <math.h>

But,when I compile it,screen out:
error: `cout' was not declared in this scope
error: `endl' was not declared in this scope
error: `cin' was not declared in this scope
Could please youtell me how can I do,thank you.
wenli wang
th26,August,2010

Add:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
In addition, <fstream.h> is deprecated. Use <fstream> instead. You should also use <cstring>, <cstdio>, <cstdlib> and <cmath> instead of the C (.h) variants.

I recommend that you avoid "using namespace std;" if you can avoid it. Prefer to use "std::cin", "std::cout" and "std::endl" instead. It's a bad habit that many programmers learn in school that they struggle to break as a professional programmer.
If I can ask, why is that a bad habit?
It's a bad habit because it's incorrect. All C++ standard headers (including those from the C library) have no .h suffix. I would assume this is to separate standard headers from user-created/non-standard ones (e.g. the Windows and POSIX APIs)
Ok, but I mean the namespace thing :p
Oh; there are several reasons for that. One of them has to do with name conflicts.

I'd break that habit ASAP, I did; it really isn't difficult to prefix "std::" to things.
ok..I'll have a look on google to find why :)
Using namespaces globally is not a bad habit, imo. When creating applications that only use the STL, the C library and standard C++ no naming conflicts should emerge. I do, however agree that you should not make a habit of it. Be wary of the effect of (using) namespaces, so that when things go (horribly) wrong you know what to do.
Is it worth the risk? It probably takes more energy to "Be wary of the effect" than it does to type "std::" a few times.
Namespaces separate and organize functionality. You can have a "xander333::sort()" function and it won't conflict with "std::sort()" or "boost::sort()" or any other sort(). Without namespaces their can be only one sort().

Now let's say you've put "using namespace std;" in all your source files and you've implemented a simple templated function called "fill()" in the global namespace of one of your files. This file also depends on a header from libFoo -- "foo.hpp". Version 2.1 of libFoo comes out and all of a sudden your program no longer compiles. You version of "fill()" suddenly conflicts with another "fill()"! What happened???

It turns out that the folks implementing libFoo included <algorithm> in the new version of "foo.hpp" when they didn't before. Now you have all of the standard algorithms being included in your source file, and your "using namespace std;" has pulled them all into the global namespace. std::fill() now directly conflicts with your fill().

More insidious, you've gotten your code to compile by renaming your fill() to xander333_fill(), but something's not working right -- your report numbers are off. It turns out that your custom divides() function, which does fixed precision math, is no longer being called because the templated function from <functional> (also newly included by "foo.hpp") makes for a better match because you're calling types did not exactly match the declared types.
I try to compile it again using methods given by Kyon and PanGalactic,but fail.I think may be the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables is wrong and computer can not find the head files.I do this in redhat linux enterprise4.8(gnu gcc 3.2.3 or latter)
g++ plot_fitsfile.cc -I/usr/include
But out again:
error: `cout' was not declared in this scope
error: `endl' was not declared in this scope
error: `cin' was not declared in this scope
What should I do?Thank you.
Last edited on
Use std::cout, std::cin, and std::endl.
chrisname wrote:
Is it worth the risk? It probably takes more energy to "Be wary of the effect" than it does to type "std::" a few times.
By "Be wary of the effect" I mean, know what namespaces actually do. Which is slight renaming. Either stating using "using namespace std;" or use "std::.." only are wrong. I personally don't like using things I don't know about.

@Wengli Wang: What's the code you are trying to compile, in it's full extends?
you will, in time come across occasions when you get name clashes.
then you will understand, grasshopper.

it's OK for trivial stuff I'd say
Mr Kyon,The length of code is bigger than max length and can't post here.Could please you send your email address to china.wenli.wang@gmail.com.I will send the codes to you,and please you give me some advice for compile it.Thank you.
mr kyon thanks U so much cause I'l be learn c++ brginner on linux........
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.