How do I start programming in Linux?

I've already installed Linux Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop as a dual boot, but now the question is how do I begin programming again in Linux? What are the tools I need. I just need to know what you guys recommend. Before I had been using VS 2010 and Dev-C++.
Ubuntu doesn't have g++ (a very well-respected cross-platform C++ compiler) installed by default, but it can be installed very easily.

Open a terminal, and type:
sudo apt-get install g++

You may be asked to install a lot of other stuff. Do so.

Technically, you're all set to go, but I'm guessing you'll want an IDE to replace *twitch* Dev-C++. You can easily install Code::Blocks as well, via:
sudo apt-get install codeblocks

...or you can go the the Ubuntu Software Center and look for Code::Blocks there.

Happy programming!

-Albatross
Last edited on
Haha thank you.
I still use vi for my development, but that's because I'm crazy. I'm told that NetBeans has a nice, usable C++ plugin, in addition to its massive Java libraries. There are lots of IDEs out there; the trick is to find one that does more things for you than it does to you.
I still use vi for my development, but that's because I'm crazy.

You crazy kid. All the smart people moved to EMACS :p
vi[m] +1
ubuntu has g++ already installed i used to program on 11.04 and it came with (albiet the most base tools) the tools neccesary which were text editor and g++. the only thing i installed was vim when i was shell scripting
nice xkcd comic XD

EDIT: I just looked for a 'butterflies' package :)
Last edited on
@Aramil
Huh... my experiences were that it wasn't pre-installed. All well... I guess that was some time ago.

-Albatross
did you have 11.0 or up because .4 w/o the update had it. it was prebuilt into terminal.
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.