ncurses keyboard constants don't work?

Hi,

I've been learning to use ncurses and have run into an issue. I made the following program to copy the program less in ncurses:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <fstream>
#include <vector>
#include <ncurses.h>
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
	if(argc != 2)
	{
		cout << "Please give a single valid filename.\n";
		return -1;
	}

char* filename = argv[1];
	ifstream reader(filename);

if(! reader)
	{
		cout << "Error opening file!\n";
		return -1;
	}

vector <string> file;
	while(reader.good())
	{
		string buffer;
		getline(reader, buffer);
		file.push_back(buffer);
	}

char keyboard = 0;
	int x, y, currentLine = 0;

initscr();
	keypad(stdscr, true);
	do
	{
		clear();
		getmaxyx(stdscr, y, x);

for(int i = 0; i < y - 1; i++)
		{
			move(i, 0);
			printw(file[i + currentLine].c_str());
		}
		move(y - 1, 0);
		printw(":");
		refresh();

keyboard = getch();
		if((keyboard == 2) && (currentLine != (file.size() - y)))
			currentLine++;
		else if((keyboard == 3) && (currentLine != 0))
			currentLine--;

} while((keyboard != 27) && (keyboard != 113));
	endwin();
	return 0;
} 

When I was making it, I used the KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN constants, and nothing happened. So I had the program output the value of keyboard when I pressed the up and down key, and got 2 for the down key and 3 for the up. If I add those numbers, it works fine. Why is it that KEY_UP and KEY_DOWN do not work?

If it's worth anything I'm compiling it using g++ -lncurses less-clone.cpp -o less2.
Last edited on
Compile with warnings
g++ -W{all,extra} less-clone.cpp -lncurses -o less2
53: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type [-Wtype-limits]

RTFM int getch(void);
Last edited on
That's not hugely useful, could you please go into more detail? I made this:

#include <ncurses.h>

int main()
{
        initscr();
        keypad(stdscr, true);
        printw("UP: %i ", has_key(KEY_UP));
        mvprintw(1, 0, "DOWN: %i ", has_key(KEY_DOWN));
        mvprintw(2, 0, "LEFT: %i", has_key(KEY_LEFT));
        mvprintw(3, 0, "RIGHT: %i", has_key(KEY_RIGHT));
        getch();
        endwin();
        return 0;
}

And it reported all the keys as true (1).
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i know what ur problem is. i had the same myself. there is a a datatype called wchar_t which is a bigger version of char. key_anything is too big for char so use that instead
Yeah, I didn't realise it was a char and got confused because I read it had to be at least a short int. Changed it to int and now it is fine. Thanks!

EDIT: Still having issues I'm afraid. Now KEY_ENTER doesn't seem to be working. Again, has_key reports it as true but I press enter and it's not recognised.
Last edited on
no, make it a char_t. it doesn't need to be int. we rnt in the c age anymore
@DTSCode
char_t? You mean wchar_t? getch() returns an int so why not store the result in an int?

One) yes sorry I mean wchar_t. Two) it always
bugged me using ints as ASCII codes.
But getch() doesn't return ASCII codes. ASCII is for characters, not for key buttons.
no, getch returns the ascii int equivalent which when printed turns out the ascii char. the key_anything are escape chars. they are characters. if you make a non ncurses program and ask for input, then hit key_up, you will see its ascii code
You mean the up key has an ASCII code?
yes any key on the keyboard is (with some exceptions like alternate fn buttons) a character and thus has an ascii key code. the only reasn ncurses uses key_fn(int), key_enter, key_up, key_down etc etc, is because the ascii characters for each of those are diffrent between operating systems. ncurses is the attempt to make code involving stuff like that cross-compatible
yes any key on the keyboard is (with some exceptions like alternate fn buttons) a character and thus has an ascii key code.

It seems fairly obvious you don't know what ascii is.
yes i do. why would you say that
yes i do. why would you say that

Why would you say "yes i do" without bothering to google to verify that you did?

http://www.asciitable.com/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2876275/what-are-the-ascii-values-of-up-down-left-right
how do you know i didn't. and as i said, its os dependent
how do you know i didn't. and as i said, its os dependent

Whether or not ascii is used is O/S dependent. Ascii values are not. Which set of extended ascii is present may depend on the locale, but again, there are no representations there for arrow keys.

How do I know you didn't google it? Because you said "yes i do. why would you say that." I know you can read, so it seems pretty obvious you didn't and apparently didn't bother visiting the links supplied. I'm out.
sorry i made a mistake. the tutorials i looked at for ncurses said they were ascii, but i searched under ascii keyboard constants and read an explination of how they were ascii sounding. so once again sorry, i was going off improper tutorials
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.