Advice on Charles Petzoid's Windows Book?

I am talking about the Fifth Edition, of course. I just want to ask a couple questions.
1) Is it in C++ ?
2) Is it worth buying it since it is 1998? Wouldn't be a bit dated?
3) Is it helpful with UI, memory, and pretty much all other IMPORTANT Windows technique?

I am on a tight budget right now, I am building a thousand dollar pc in 2 months and am saving up, so I can't spend 40 dollars on a book that is utterly useless to me. Also: is Jeffrey Richter's Window Via C/C++ a better decision? Thanks for any answers!
closed account (z05DSL3A)
1) Is it in C++ ?
No it is in C.

2) Is it worth buying it since it is 1998? Wouldn't be a bit dated?
As the basics of Windows API have not changed that much, it is still relevant.

3) Is it helpful with UI, memory, and pretty much all other IMPORTANT Windows technique?
I would say yes. The graphics stuff is GDI but still worth learning; moving over to Direct2D is not that hard when you know how the rest of it fits together.

Also: is Jeffrey Richter's Window Via C/C++ a better decision?
that used to go by the title 'Advanced Windows', I would say that it is a follow up to Petzold.

EDIT: NB:This would be a suitable path for someone who likes the bottom up approach to learning rather than top down.
Last edited on by Canis lupus
I would second what Canis lupus said. The lowest level interface to the Windows OS is C based. You can't get beneath that. Even if you write in assembler, you would still have to call the C based Windows Api functions to do anything. If you wish to use C++ classes all that does is wrap various functionality of the C based Api. Through encapsulation it may make some things easier, but it doesn't add anything.
Ok thanks both you guys its a big help
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.