gamming with c++

Aright I am in the process of making a game and I already have a basic consol base game but now I want to change it to where it can have mouse movments and buttons contraols along with liek a 3d or 2d enviernment now what would be the best thing to use

sdl
DirectX
or is there others that might be better?
I like SFML for 2d but if you want there is SDl, allegro, and more. For 3d you probably wan't OpenGL. I wouldn't suggest DirectX unless you only want it for windows. There are also 3d engines you can use like UDK (3 is free) though these will have their own language.
Yeah, SFML is very simple as it name implies, and also supports networking, now compatible with C++11 and only supports 2D graphics and no multiple desktops at the moment.
@SFML +1

Aceix.
Last edited on
Even if you want to dive into 3D with OpenGL ( I don't recommend it as a first project, it can be ... discouraging ) then you should still use SFML for the rendering surface and to handle user input, sound, networking etc. It really is a great little library.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I'd recommend SDL. It's lightweight and I'm fond of it's simplicity. Not to mention the wide array of platforms it's able to run on.
If you are willing to go the OpenGL path, make sure to find 'modern' tutorials, being versions 3-4 (run away from anything with glBegin/glEnd in it). Also, as @Computergeek01 said, you could use SFML to handle user input, sound, networking, etc, but I personally use GLFW, which is an extremely lightweight library, but it doesn't support sound or networking so you would need to use something else for that.

If you want to jump into 3D programming, so other libraries out there that can make it much easier are Ogre3D and Irrlicht, which are engines that provide a bunch of things to make your life easier (like mesh loading, particle systems, lighting, basic collision and other physics, and more).
I'm sorry I have to say this but I have severe OCD about people spelling things wrong... I would recommend SDL too however
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.