C++ windows forms string formatting warnings UNSAVE -> sprintf into messagebox::show

Hi there,

I'm not new into programming (have a degree in software-engineering), but it has been a while PLUS new in C++ and windows forms. So very rusty... And especally in converting serveral different informations into a messagebox.

CHALLENGE:
From my UDP connection (made a simple client and a server) I can receive different types of information. Also the information has to be showed to different users and usertypes. In this case it's a messagebox.

String^ message;
String^ indication;
char buffer [100];
int nummer = 10;
int nummer2 = 20;
char Tnummer[100] = "telefoonnummer";

This is a simple example of my problem:

sprintf_s(buffer, "The half of %d is %d", 60, 60/2 );
message = gcnew String(buffer);
MessageBox::Show(message, indication);

I have tried several ways with the following:
message = "MESSAGE TEKST: ";
indication = "INDICATION";
(works fine, no warnings)

message = String::Concat(message, nummer);

message = String::Concat("test met ander formaat, nummer 2 = ", nummer2);

message = gcnew String(Tnummer);

I use sprintf as it's so much easier then converting all step by step.
But it would be great to see if their is a more simple way to have things converted in the same way by means of string converter or system converter that does the same as sprintf.

As I get warnings that sprintf is UNSAVE, and I do not want to use unsave options in my programming.

ANY IDEA how to transfer:
different integers, strings, chars, into a text to deliver it to the messagebox::show as that only receives String^ input as I recall.

Or just links to different examples on this subject, as I tried several options, but it always comes to long coding and converting and doing it step by step. And just converting it by means of sprintf into a characterbuffer is sooooooo much easier ;)

Many thanks in advance!!
Last edited on
There's a useful substitute for sprintf() in the .net lib.

String::Format()

It returns a String^ "pointer".

like: MessageBox::Show(String::Format("decimal: {0}, hex: {1:X}", 42, 170));

Results in: "decimal: 42, hex: AA"

The Format() function can do a bit more than sprintf() and it's well documented in the MSDN.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.