How softwares with graphics are developed ??

I am petty good a console programming in c++ but now I wants to develop a software that have some graphics like all other windows applications like window media player . Can anyone explain how it can be done.
Is there any other app or programming language that I need to learn .
External libraries are needed. The C and C++ languages as well as their standard libraries do not contain functionality related to graphical user interfaces. In other words, graphical user interfaces are not standardized. However, you don't need to learn another language, you simply need to access the necessary libraries with your C or C++ code. In the case of Windows, the very bottom layer is the Windows Api. That's the way I and many others work with graphical user interfaces. However, many others prefer object oriented 'Class Frameworks' that encapsulate the Windows Api, such as Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC). More popular for a number of years now are cross platform libraries such as wxWidgets or QT. Using these its possible to create a graphical user interface app that can run on both Windows and Linux.

Here is a link to other material I've written on this subject...

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=3389.0

Shall I use Microsoft's visual c++ for this purpose.
It's a great IDE if you're programming on Windows for Windows. It's not necessary though, you can use whatever you're comfortable with.
What software do you use for making GUI programming.
Last edited on

What software do you use for making GUI programming.

What you've already got.
Thanks a lot. I will try..
The basic idea is that the functions you need to call are in external libraries, as I've previously stated. If you've installed Microsoft's Visual Studio you will have these libraries installed in an SDK directory somewhere. The other necessary ingredient are include files to allow the compiler to make sense out of your code. The combination of the include files - which help the compiler do its work, plus the libraries - which help the linker do its work, are what are needed to make a graphical user interface program for Windows.

At that link I posted at top are example programs you could work on. If you look at them you'll see an ...

#include <windows.h> 

in all of them. That's the master Windows include which within includes many others. These are what allow you to make a GUI program for Windows. I will caution you that all the Windows documentation couches its character string variables in terms of the TCHAR macro, and I strongly urge you to tackle that issue first so that you understand it. That is why I described it in the tutorial I posted, and one of the members here - Disch I believe, has a tutorial on it right here on this site I believe.
Last edited on
Thanks aa lot once again for ur help...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.