Interview Questions for WinApi

I want to apply for this entry position as a C++/WinApi/MFC software developer. What are some common questions that they ask in interviews about WinApi? I googled a bit but found only a few and some of them were for higher positions.

On glassdoor, I saw an employee review (from the same company), that said the interview consisted of writing an MFC dialog and some C++ OOP questions.

Those are the requirements(removed the non-programming stuff), so as I have worked with WinApi and SDK before and are on my resume, that means they will surely ask me some questions about them.

- Good knowledge of C/C++
- Understanding of object-oriented programming (OOP)

In addition, the following skills are considered assets:
- Experience in / knowledge of MFC, Windows API / SDK , COM, ATL, ObjectARX

So, what do you think would be the most probable questions they could ask me about those? Dialog/Window Procedures for sure, but will they also ask about general GUI stuff like radio buttons, checkboxes, scrollbars or more advance stuff and so on? Considering it's an entry level positions the questions shouldn't be too difficult, right?
Considering it's an entry level positions the questions shouldn't be too difficult, right?
Is this a real life job? I've never heard about a job offer specifically directed to beginners.

Normally employers don't care about your situation. Those candidates who satisfy them most (answer the most questions) will get the job. So I suggest that you start working with the fields in question (for instance create some appropriate projects with Visual Studio and try out as much as possible).

Further: The job description is far to general. This way it is basically a game of luck whether they state the question you can answer. Even on a beginner level. Try to find out more about the company and what they are doing (ObjectARX looks like a hint).
Is this a real life job? I've never heard about a job offer specifically directed to beginners.

I guess it is otherwise they wouldn't put it on job sites. Here are the attached tags:

Career level
STUDENT
ENTRY-LEVEL

Normally employers don't care about your situation. Those candidates who satisfy them most (answer the most questions) will get the job.

The company reposted this job offer several times in the last 6 months or so. So I guess either they don't find the right candidate or need multiple people. Should this be a concern?

So I suggest that you start working with the fields in question (for instance create some appropriate projects with Visual Studio and try out as much as possible).

That's what I'm doing. I researched what the company is doing (architecture software) and that's one of the main reasons I want to get this job ( I dabbled with autodesk 3ds plug-ins before), the other reason is that it's walking distance from home so I don't have to commute. Now I'm trying to add to my portfolio appropriate projects so maybe they invite me to the interview.

I found a list of behavioral and general questions that the company asks, but not much about programming questions. The only technical questions I found were on glassdoor from an employee, he said he had to represent a basic Car class in C++ and make a MFC dialog.
Last edited on
Should this be a concern?
No. You have nothing to lose. Job application is a hard process. Everything counts: each word, word order, punctuation, format etc.

For each application it is good to have a previous one, so that you can make improvements. I suggest that you do the best you can for the current application. The worst that could happen is nothing, but then you have something for the next time.

Do not forget: It is always 'What you can do for the employer' and never the other way!

he said he had to represent a basic Car class in C++ and make a MFC dialog.
At least this sounds reasonable. It is likely that they will vary that.

So I guess either they don't find the right candidate
Considering this vague job description it is very much possible.
Last edited on
Thank you for your advice. What I'm worried about is that I will have to come with God knows what WinApi syntax in the middle of a stressful interview.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.