DirectX and C++

Hey everyone,

I have been wondering that
Are frameworks/libraries/toolkits (or whatever you call them) like direct X,opengl used to create useful software like photoshop,sony vegas,snipping tool,paint and things like that?

I'm looking forward to pursue my career as a developer and expand my horizon
and that's why im asking this question so I know what path i have to take next

And even if you can't help me in anyway still thank you for reading my post
Are frameworks/libraries/toolkits like direct X,opengl used to create useful software like photoshop...

definitely yes, even for simple GUI programs it's recommended to use direct x instead of GDI which is now considered deprecated.

you can quickly start to create you first direct x program to see how it feels like here:
example code 1:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/learnwin32/direct2d-circle-sample

example code 2:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct2d/direct2d-quickstart

given the age of some of those, they may still use GDI, esp something like paint, which is half-abandoned as M$ wants you to use their new one. Paint was in windows 3.0 and probably before that (memory fog), and it looks almost exactly the same (they changed the file formats it uses, so its been given some love, but its still very close to the original). Is directdraw / 2d branch still in directx? That may be a good place for images, if its still a thing, it could all be combined now (havent used in a while).
Is directdraw / 2d branch still in directx?

directdraw is deprecated, but direct2D is the current standard for 2D.

actually direct2D is replacements for all the graphics library (GDI, GDI+, DirectDraw).
excluding direct3D of course which coexists with direct2D as the most recent API's.

That may be a good place for images

yes it is, although it depends, there is also WIC (Windows Imaging Component) API designed for images, pixels, encodings/decodings etc..
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.