Getting started with windows programming

I have a fair amount of experience with C++ in Linux. There I used g++, automake, or cmake to actually compile my programs. What is the analogue in Windows? I know I can install the same programs in Cygwin but I want to natively program in Windows. What is the name of the compiler/make toolchain?

Also, what is a good place to find documentation on things like how to create toolbar icons/daemons for my programs? Thanks.
IMHO, Visual Studio 2010 from Microsoft is the best IDE + compiler. But other options are Code::Blocks and the replacement for Dev-C++, which I don't remember the name right now.

As for documentation, Microsoft Windows is the best-documented OS, I think. Go to http://www.msdn.com and you'll find what you need.
*Agrees* MSVS10 has an integrated and really easy debugger, but you have to pay for it, unless you have something you shouldn't. I suggest too Code::Blocks as a second choice, and not sure if suggesting you Dev-c++. It's outdated. Both those are free, CodeBlocks includes G++ anyways, and is compatible with other compilers and may let you choose which one you want to use. Dev-c++ has a nice Guide for newbies in the c++ world, but it's Console-only.
True, but there's Visual Studio Express, which is free. I don't know how many "nice" features are missing, but surely is one option. I have had MSDN Universal subscription for a very long time now, so I always have the latest for free, or should I say "free"? After all, the subscription is quite expensive.

Agreed that Dev-C++ is outdated, this is why I said "replacement for Dev-C++". I just can't remember the replacement's name.
You are in a good position to learn Windows development RedScare. You'll likely find that Windows programmers do command line compiling very, very much less than *nix coders. The use of complex and heavyweight IDEs (like those mentioned so far in this thread) that hide all the details of the compiler tool chain is almost universal. Nonetheless, I personally believe these are very good skills to use and maintain in Windows coding.

To really start out at ground zero you could download and install the Windows 7 SDK, and with that you would be able to use the various binaries that are part of the compiler tool chain directly. That part isn't really too much different than under Linux, for example....

cl "Hello.cpp"

will invoke the Microsoft compiler/linker and produce Hello.exe. The SDK described above includes a command prompt window which sets various environment variables that make compiling easy.

This can also be done by installing the MinGW distribution which is a Windows port of GCC. I personally use Code::Blocks more than Visual Studio simply because I'm something of a minimalist coder. If you download and install Code::Blocks they install MinGW as the default compiler. I'd think this would be something of a first choice for you as this development environment is cross platform. It was developed with wxWidgets, I believe. I've used it under Linux some. Its really nice.

Once you've made up your mind post back and I can give you examples of compiling Windows programs from the command line using either compiler system. Here also is some additional info you might find useful for getting started with Windows GUI coding...

http://www.jose.it-berater.org/smfforum/index.php?topic=3389.0
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.