Books for Windows programming

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend me a good book for learning Windows programming using Visual C++.

Thanks in advance.
closed account (1vRz3TCk)
Programming Windows 5th Edition
by Charles Petzold

followed by

Windows via C/C++ 5th Edition
by Jeffrey Richter

and possibly

Windows Internals
by Mark E. Russinovich and David A. Solomon

if you are interested in what goes on behind the scenes
Good books. I ought to try to get Richter's book. Heard good things about it. I have Rector and Newcomer, but never found much use for it, although others like it.
I keep repeating this because the question keeps getting repeated, but as was already mentioned, if you are going to learn Windows programming, then Petzold's book, as old as it is, it still absolutely indispensible.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Windows%C2%AE-Fifth-Microsoft/dp/157231995X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321200014&sr=8-2

I haven't read Richter's book, but I've heard good things about it? Has anybody here read it? If so, what would you consider it's best attributes, and what will it teach beyound Petzold and MSDN?
The way I see it, Petzold is about GUI programming and Richter is about, well, everything else. Memory management, processes, concurrency, asynchronous I/O, hooking, subclassing, DLLs and DLL injection, its all in there and explained very well.

Another book that looks promising is Windows System Programming.
Richter's book can be downloaded from here in pdf format:
[link removed]
Last edited on by admin
Wow! Outstanding, modoran! That will save me $$$ for sure... Unless I like it so much that I want to add it to my hardcopy library, then i'll have to bite the bullet and go but it! -:)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.