system() confusion

Can anyone tell me what is the equivalent of the system() function in a linux environment.

For eg:-
system("pause") not getch() or getchar or anything but a pure linux specific function
?? Shouldn't you ask this in the Linux forum instead of the Windows forum? Surely enough we Windows programmers know what system() does, but I surely don't know the Linux equivalent because I don't program for Linux.

And although in the Linux forum may be the same for some people (they know what you are looking for but don't know what system() is/does), if you explain to them what system() does they'll know for sure what you are talking about and give you the answer.

You can move this topic there.
Thanks for your unhelpful answer
system() is a standard C function, does not matter what operating system are you running.

As for what to do to to keep the console window open there is already a forum topic around there.

In linux there can be many console programs (terminal emulators) running, so there is no standard "command", in windows most likely is only one (cmd.exe, but that can be changed too)
system() is a standard C function, does not matter what operating system are you running.

As for what to do to to keep the console window open there is already a forum topic around there.

In linux there can be many console programs (terminal emulators) running, so there is no standard "command", in windows most likely is only one (cmd.exe, but that can be changed too)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.