Game Dev

Can C++ game dev be done with Code::Block? I'm not good enough to make games yet, I'm just curious.
yes
Thank you :)
When you decide to get into it, take a look at the SDL library and the SFML library, both are excellent resources and don't require you to work directly with the WinAPI.

Kay :) but by the time I'm good enough for game development i'll probably have forgotten XD
This indicates an unfortunate misunderstanding of what C++ is and how coding works. C++ is a programming language. You write text files in C++, and present them to the compiler. The compiler turns these text files into compiled object files, and then a linker takes these object files and turns them into a program (or library).

All the fancy IDEs and what have you ultimately all boil down to this. Text files, fed into the compiler. You can do the whole thing with a simple text editor.
I currently am using SFML for a little graphics play. I haven't gotten very serious with it yet, but it takes a lot of understanding of the C++ language and let's call it physics though that's not the right term.
Their forums aren't very beginner friendly, when I first started on it and asked simple questions about their renderWindow() function I was basically turned away. Their documentation (as far as functions lists and such) is excellent, but their community forums are not so much. I'm sure there are great people in their forums, but in several questions that I posted on their site I did not encounter any. If you do start using SFML I suggest posting your beginner questions here, I got so much more help in these forums than I ever got from the SFML forums.

Edit;
(I don't mean to offend anyone, but that was the experience that I had)
(As for the word physics I mean the ways that objects from their class libraries interact and relate to each other and how to use functions and objects from one class within objects of another class. There's just a lot of intermixing you have to do to get pictures to the screen the way you want them to look, and you have to understand what's happening in each function to have it turn out right. some of it is simple and other parts are more complex)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.