problem with initializing static class member

can someone plz tell me why does the function assign brings to a compilation error??
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

class String
{
	static char s[255];
	int len;
public:
	void assign(const char*);
	int length()const;
	void print()const;
};

void String::assign(const char* str)
{
	strcpy(s,str);
	len=strlen(str);
}

int String::length()const
{
	return len;
}

void String::print()const
{
	cout<<"The string: "<<s<<endl;
}

int main()
{
	String s1;
	s1.assign("Hello");
	cout<<s1.length()<<endl;
	s1.print();
}

i tried without the static initialization and it works...how can i make it work with the static declaration?
Last edited on
can someone plz tell me why does the function assign brings to a compilation error??

Next time give us the compiler errors.

You need to include cstring for strlen, strcpy etc..

You need to initialize s outside of the class (to get it to work, I simply added the line char String::s[255] = {'0'}; right after the class declaration)
i'm not sure why you'd want that as static? surely each String object should contain it's own unique char array?
this is the compilation error:
Error 1 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "private: static char * String::s" (?s@String@@0PADA) c:\Users\Al\documents\visual studio 2012\Projects\ConsoleApplication32\ConsoleApplication32\string.obj ConsoleApplication32

the only reason this memebr is static its because that what i was asked to do in this excerise:/
thank you very much danny that solved the problem...didnt understand why but still..thanks!
didnt understand why but still..thanks!

Because you need to actually define that static variable somewhere, so that it can be instantiated. It's not instantiated when a String object is instantiated, because it's static, so you have to do it in the same way as you would a (*spit*) global variable.
The problem is that `String::s` doesn't exist. A class definition only describes how the class looks like, it doesn't create it.

For regular members creation (or definition) happens when you instatiate the class, as in String s1;.

Static class members are more tricky. Since there is only one you can't create it every time you create an object, so you have to define it only once in a separate piece of code.
That piece of code is usually the source¹ file where the class member functions are defined (class.h -> class.cpp). In your case you only have one file so class definition and members definitions all go there.

The reason why char String::s[255] = {'0'};² made the program compile is because that's how you define static members: having a line like <type> <class>::<name> [initialization] at global scope.
Note that initialization is optional. char String::s[255]; would have worked too, but it's a good idea to always initialize data.

¹ Definitions should not be put in header files because when you compile, each source file #including the header with the definition will try to create the static member. To put it simply, you would end up with multiple copies of `String::s`, but then how can String::assign() know which copy is the actual `s`? It can't, so the compiler doesn't allow you to end up with this situation.
This is called the "One definition rule"

² I'm guessing this was meant to be '\0'
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.