First if statement always 'true'.

I've tried many different things but it seems no matter what I do, my first 'if' statement is always true, even when it should be false. This problem occurs in the following code,

void announceWinner()
{ 

if (board [0] == 'X' || board [1] == 'X'  || board [2] == 'X' || board [3] == 'X' || board [4] == 'X' || board [5] == 'X' || board [6] == 'X' || board [7] == 'X' || board [8] == 'X')
		 	{
		 	cout << string(24, '\n' );	
            cout<<"X Wins!"; 
            cout<<endl<<endl;
       	 	}

else if (board [0] == 'O' || board [1] == 'O'  || board [2] == 'O' || board [3] == 'O' || board [4] == 'O' || board [5] == 'O' || board [6] == 'O' || board [7] == 'O' || board [8] == 'O')
			{
			cout << string( 24, '\n' );	
			cout<<"O Wins!"; 
			cout<<endl<<endl;
			}
}

Other information:

This is for a tic-tac-toe program.
Everything else works fine.

EDIT: Sorry, the code is longer than the area.
Last edited on
Your condition will be true if one or more of the elements of board is 'X'. Are you absolutely certain that every single one of those 9 elements is something other than 'X' ?
The statement does not check for the winning condition, it just checks whether 'X' is somewhere within board
It has already checked for a winning condition, it is determining whether the winning condition is X, or Y.
Whatever you want to check for the first if evaluates to true if 'X' is anywhere on the board. The ideal time to determine whether the winner is X or Y O is when you're checking to see if there's a winner.
Last edited on
That might just double my code, but it'll probably work. I'll try that and get back to you (:

Update:

Thanks Cire! I was hoping to avoid alot of code but this method seems to have worked (:
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.