programs for beginners

aside from following tutorials and the old standard "Hello World", what types of small programs are good for beginners to try? thanks

It depends on where you want to go with C++. Do you want to be an engineer? Write programs using algorithms to solve problems. Do you want to make games? get started with SFML as soon as possible. Do you want to be a scientist? Start reading up on how to design good modular code and interfaces.
reverse a string (try it with both char arrays and std::string).
a game where you come up with a number and the program guesses it
^ but vice versa
tic-tac-toe game
xkcd reference wrote:
tic-tac-toe game
I'd recommend not doing this in the console ;)
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/articles/12974/

Lots of beginner programs there to attempt.
I forgot about that, nice Renthalkx97!
I'd recommend not doing this in the console ;)

now normally i would agree with you, but the reason why i would recommend it is because it can teach file io (if you want to save games), arrays, functions, and even some basic ai
I agree with you for sure, but I kind of laughed at "if you want to save games". How big is this tic-tac-toe board again?
:L my friends all laugh at me for the same reason. but my reasoning behind it is because it teaches you to figure out which variables you need to save, a proper way to save them, and reading them back in, on a smaller scale
for now, i want to write business programs that use shared databases.
closed account (iAk3T05o)
I'ld recommend tic-tac-toe over all those console (supposed) rpg games that they all make.
jf1963 wrote:
for now, i want to write business programs that use shared databases.
Then you should look up various database libraries for C and C++ and familiarize yourself with using them. You'll also have to learn database query syntax on the side. Database security is a huge concern, so you will also need to learn the best practices with database security.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.