struct Base {
    int g;
);
struct Subclass1 : public Base {
    int some_data1;
};
struct Subclass2 : public Base {
    int some_data2;
}; // just a basic example, I know it looks unnecessary to use inheritance here 

I know the whole point of inheritance is avoid having to duplicate unnecessary stuff, but I'm just wondering if there is some implicit conversion, Sub -> Base, that happens when I call a function such as:
void foo(const Base& b1)
{
    std::cout << b1.g;
}

as opposed to
void foo(const Subclass1& s)
{
   // duplicated body
    std::cout << s.g;
}
void foo(const Subclass2& s)
{
  // duplicated body
    std::cout << s.g;
}
// in other words:
template <typename T>
void foo(const T& base_or_sub)
{
    std::cout << base_or_sub.g;
}

int main() {
    Base b;
    Subclass1 s1;
    Sublcass2 s2;
    foo(b);
    foo(s1);
    foo(s2);

or is that resolved at compile time, so no overhead?

Edit: Well whether there's overhead or not, it's probably minimal, and
friend GraphicArray operator+(const GraphicArray&, const GraphicArray&);
looks a hell of a lot better than
template <typename GraphicTypeT, typename GraphicTypeU>
friend GraphicArray operator+(const GraphicTypeT&, const GraphicTypeU&);

so I think I'll go with the former.
    Curve2D curve(bez1, bez2);
    Curve2D curve2(bez3, bez4);
    GraphicArray g = curve + curve2;
Last edited on
> GraphicArray operator+(const GraphicArray&, const GraphicArray&);
¿you are returning a `GraphicArray' object or a derived type?
check out object slicing.
I am returning the base type object. I think I solved it my edit by doing friend GraphicArray operator+(const GraphicArray&, const GraphicArray&); instead of templates, but yes I am still curious.

In my edited example, Curve2D is declared as Curve2D : public GraphicArray { ... };
Thanks for mentioning object slicing, I wasn't sure what the name for passing a subclass into the base class parameter was called.

I am still confused though, does the program make more overhead (internal operations/copying?) to slice the object when passing a reference of it, or would it be the same as if the function wanted the Subclass directly as one of its parameters?
Last edited on
you do not observe object slicing when passing a reference.
you observe it when trying to construct a base object from a derived object. There are no means to copy the extra members that the derived object may have.

> I am returning the base type object.
I don't know how are you defining the "sum" operation, but I doubt that a base class object may represent correctly the result when the parameters needed derived types

> does the program make more overhead
I don't know, but I doubt that that is the case.
You are simply treating it as if it were a Base&, and the compiler just have to analyse the relationships to allow it. No operations are needed.
Okay thank you, I was thinking that it would need to adjust things at runtime to account for passing a subclass object, but it makes sense that the compiler would analyze the functions beforehand.

And just for information: I am only using the base class's member variables in my sum operation. For example, I have two "specialized" GraphicArrays (Curve class), which have their unique stuff in them, but if I were to add two "curves" together, it is no longer a well-defined curve, so the returned object is the vertices + other rendering information of the two combine curves, with no knowledge that those vertices represent curved parametric functions.

So yes I guess my issue is solved, thank you.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.