Beginning C++ Programming

Hi,

I am 22 years old, and I have been programming with Visual Basic 6 for over 3 years.
I want to move into the most technical area of programming i.e. C++.

I am looking to become a really technicall, powerful C++ programmer that is in demand. What are the latest technologies that are in demand. And how long will it approxiamely take to learn C++ inlcuding professional windows development. I strive to be a professional software developer on a BIG wage.

I really wanna get into C++.

What career paths are available to me?
What books are recommended?
What resources are recommened?
How long do I need to study C++ before I can say I am a professional programmer?
Will it be easy for me to get a C++ Programming job having good knowledge of C++ and taking my VB experience into account?
Thanks!
Zin.
> What Books are recommended?
> What resources are recommended?

See: https://isocpp.org/get-started
That page is dated; it mentions Visual studio 2017.
However, the link leads you to Visual Studio 2019, which is what you would want.

> How long do I need to study C++ before I can say I am a professional programmer?

With programming experience of over three years, I would say about six months or so.

> Will it be easy for me to get a C++ Programming job having good knowledge of C++
> and taking my VB experience into account?

Yes; with good knowledge of C++.

What career paths are available to me?
-- C++ *can* do anything, but at the professional level code it is a bit weak at portability (working on many different OS without any extra effort) and it is not always ideal for data (database access, web development, etc). It is very strong at embedded work, math / processing, anything that needs supreme performance (games, science), and so on.
-- C++ is the parent of about 1/2 of the languages in use, some of which excel in the areas that c++ itself struggles with. Javascript, java, C# are 3 big languages that are very similar to c++ so if you know c++ you can pick these up very quickly.

How long do I need to study C++ before I can say I am a professional programmer?
coming from VB, I would say a little longer than above... you may not be used to OOP ideas on top of the language details. I would guess up to a year and a half to 2 years. You can be coding some stuff long before this (even just a couple of months) but you may struggle to do some things on your own (think: hired to write c++, not talking exercises / schoolwork level) for most of the first year.

--yes, it should be easy to get a job with programming experience and a couple of very different languages in your skill set.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.