Copyright of tutorials of this site

Hello,

I have a question about C++ tutorials from this site, I am beginner and I want to use it, but unfortunately I have found nothing about the conditions for use them. Can I realize a handwritten after tutorials for learning or copy code of tutorials into my computer? On another sites there It is specified the condition for copy, for example Wikipedia have text of the site under creative common license. Can somebody explain me this aspect to avoid breaking law.

you can copy the code in the examples to your computer and use them to learn.
you may not copy them to publish elsewhere as your own material or on your own site etc.

I have no idea what this says: an I realize a handwritten after tutorials for learning :it looks like google translate is vaping crack again.

there does not appear to be an explict copyright info on the site. So it is in your best interest to simply use the materials on your own computer, for your own personal use, and not redistribute them (you can link to them, if you need to). There is a 'fair use' thing where you can have a small amount to redistribute, say to a classroom, if you give credit to the source. I do not know the limit, its a page or so, not much.
Last edited on
"handwritten" means that I write with my hand after tutorial on some papers for learning. The writing is better than the reading tutorial's material, the learning is more easier.

I need administrator's opinion.
Last edited on
I always wondered if I copy paste some code from somewhere, then do some modifications such as code style, so that code is not the same any more, is that considered a theft or license violation?

I could always say I hand written the code from some website instead of copy pasting it and the code no longer looks the same. so it's my work right?

how would anyone prove it's not my work if it's not the same (only logic is the same)?
the admin appears to be missing for some time. You may not get what you want.
I always wondered if I copy paste some code from somewhere, then do some modifications such as code style, so that code is not the same any more, is that considered a theft or license violation?

I could always say I hand written the code from some website instead of copy pasting it and the code no longer looks the same. so it's my work right?

how would anyone prove it's not my work if it's not the same (only logic is the same)?

Ultimately, that would be down to lawyers to make their respective arguments, and judge or jury to decide based on those arguments.
right. And no one is going to go spending big bucks on lawyers for 5 line example code.
OP, write it down to learn it all you want. Copy it to your machine and use / learn with it all you want. That is WHY it exists. As long as you are not publishing it as your own work you are fine.
It's better waiting for administrator's opinion. In my country is a political policy what listen your phone, search your computer, Internet, etc to find your mistakes that can be transformed in charges.
Last edited on
ok. you do that, and let me know when you get a response.
It's better waiting for administrator's opinion.

You clearly didn't read jonnin's earlier post. The administrator almost never involves themself with with the forum anymore, so you will almost certainly never get a response.
I am not the administrator, but I can tell you his opinion. (I have explicitly asked him about it before.)

He does not want to have an explicit copyright or other legalese for code posted anywhere on the site. His opinion is that it is there and free to use.

Legally, that is essentially a no-man's land of “don’t touch”, but practically it is the same as “Public Domain.”

Any code on this site can have a more explicit directive, of course.
Most of non-obvious/non-trivial stuff I post can be considered Boost Licensed, and where it matters I explicitly mark it as such. Where I don’t mark it as such it is basically free to take and do with as you wish.

Otherwise, I think you are safe simply attributing the source if you use it. You may need to wrangle your legal department for wording, like

Written by <username> and available for public use from cplusplus.com
<URL to source>
or
Modified from code written by <username> and available for public use from cplusplus.com
<URL to source>

IANAL, so again, where it matters, run it by your legal department.

Though, honestly, almost everything you find here is fairly obvious, and would be very difficult to bind in legal proceedings against your use of it.

(IIRC, courts have already several times found that writing code which simply uses library functions as intended — that is, writing code that can only reasonably be written one way — cannot be copy protected.)

And remember, IANAL. If it matters, get one and ask him his opinion.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.