Typesafety overhead

In order to avoid "magic numbers", I usually use a #define as necessary. However, I've been told to avoid this because of the issue of typesafety, and instead to use const variables. The below code is not an actual example of this, its just to illustrate my point

#define DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION 360

int angle = 450;
int cycles = angle/DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION;

Instead of the above, I have been advised to do the below...

const int DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION = 360;
int angle = 450;
int cycles = angle/DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION;

So my question is this: why not (carefully) use #define? Is there a non-trivial level of overhead in the second approach? Also, if I would like to change the constant (not in this case of course), it seems easier to change the #define rather than going to each declaration of the const int to change it.
why not (carefully) use #define?

As you state when you use a define you must be careful. Using a const variable the compiler enforces type safety.

Is there a non-trivial level of overhead in the second approach?

Both are compile time constants, so there will be no difference in run time performance.

Also, if I would like to change the constant (not in this case of course), it seems easier to change the #define rather than going to each declaration of the const int to change it.

What? You should only have one const to change, exactly as the #define. To change the value using the define you change:
//#define DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION 360
#define DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION 7600 

With the const:
//const int DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION = 360;

const int DEGREES_PER_REVOLUTION = 7600;

What? You should only have one const to change, exactly as the #define. To change the value using the define you change:

I mean in the event that you use this constant within different scopes, in different areas. In any case, thanks for clearing the other questions up.
I mean in the event that you use this constant within different scopes, in different areas.

But that would also apply in the case of a #define.

There's no reason why a #define must appear at the top of the code, it could be placed anywhere, just like the const.

Similarly, there's no reason why the const must be placed somewhere deep in the code. If it's likely to be referenced from multiple places (like for example the value of PI), then it's better put at the top. And similarly if the value of the const may need to be frequently changed, again place it at the top for easy access.
Oh, you mean I should define the const variable globally? I have been told this is bad practice, though, I assume its a step up from using #define
Well, global variables are generally (but not always) bad practice.

In the case of a constant, it would probably be bad practice to define an identical constant serving an identical purpose in multiple places within the code. Doing that risks the value (and perhaps type) of each one being different. That could make the global version the best option.

As soon as you make hard and fast rules about what is good and bad practice someone is likely to come along with a counter example, so each case needs to be judged on its own merits.

At any rate, I don't think any of these concerns can be regarded as an argument in favour of #define. To avoid doing something because you've been told it's bad practice, and to instead do something which is much worse practice is hardly logical.
you can safely replace #define with const ...

a const is not a (global) variable it is in fact const. No memory is used until you're doing something with that const. You can place it in headers as well
Alright, thanks for the advice, I can definitely see why #define is not preferable in this case.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.