In which order should I read those C++ books

Hello to everyone, I've just registered to the forum (to see my "story", please, look at my profile).
I would like to ask you something: I'm not very good in c++, so I just read the "Beginning C++ through game programming" to refresh my C++ knowledge of university studies (only one c++ exam...basics only), that was a GREAT book for beginners as I am.

After, I bougth other three books, which are:
- Accelerated C++
- Effective C++
- Programming 2D Games (charles Kelly).

I was wondering in which order should I read those books for a better understanding. As you can see, I would like to learn good c++ skills and also learning to programming c++ GAMES (actually this is only one thing to encourage me study C++, to do something I like).

Thanks, If you need me to specific something else, please, let me know!
Greetings from Italy :-)
Books don't really help as much as practice. You're better of writing code until you hit a bug, then you're really learning.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Just check out the tutorials here for a quick skim, and get started on practicing right away.
Last edited on
> was wondering in which order should I read those books for a better understanding.

In the order that you listed them.

1. Accelerated C++
2. Effective C++
3. Programming 2D Games (charles Kelly).

Take your time with Koenig and Moo; it packs a lot of information in a very compact format. As you go along, do the exercises at the end of each chapter. And you will be richly rewarded.
Thanks to both of you, so, considering both your answeres, I understood that I should read Accelerated C++ before Effective C++. Ok for this, but since "thebeto1of" told me that the best thing to do is practice, and also considering that for me, reading good books is very important too and I WILL read all of this books surely, sholud maybe I read Programming 2D games before the others? becsuse I think this last one will give me some more practiche than the others.

1. Accelerated C++ (plus exercises on the book)
2. Effective C++
3. Programming 2D Games (charles Kelly) (+ maybe, online tutorial)

or
1. Programming 2D Games (charles Kelly) (+ maybe, online tutorial)
2. Accelerated C++ (plus exercises on the book)
3. Effective C++

thanks!
PS ok, I surely will take my time with accekerated, if you say so!
Last edited on
I would strongly recommend using Accelerated C++ (plus exercises on the book) as the basis of your learning. As you proceed along the lines charted by Koenig and Moo, by all means peruse the same topics in other two books, do the exercises in them, and so on.

That is just my opinion though; there would be others who differ strongly. The Koenig and Moo way of learning C++ (the very second program in the book in Chapter 1) has been rubbished as 'a bad tutorial', 'an example of how to shoot your foot', 'the worst possible way to do something' and 'suicidally jumping off the top of a bridge' by other members of this forum. A somewhat heated discussion about that particular example as an appropriate second program for a beginner starts here: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/110714/4/#msg607391

This is the internet; you are going to hear strongly held (and strongly expressed) diametrically opposite opinions on many topics. Ultimately, you have to use your own judgement, and make a decision that makes sense for you.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Programming 2D Games is a great book. I have almost finished reading it now. I would say to get a firm knowledge of the basics before you start reading it. I have not read the others
Last edited on
Jumping into C++ could be helpful too.
> Programming 2D Games is a great book. I have almost finished reading it now.
> I would say to get a firm knowledge of the basics before you start reading it.

Yes. I haven't read it, but it is probably not the ideal first book to learn programming in C++.

I would expect its view of C++ to be quite narrow: learn just enough C++ to be able to start programming games in DirectX 2D.
SFML is very good for API beginners, and it doesn't take much time to learn. Once you get the hang of it, you will find Directx and other Libraries not so difficult.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I would expect its view of C++ to be quite narrow: learn just enough C++ to be able to start programming games in DirectX 2D.

It has C++ classes in 60 seconds and then goes right into the WinAPI and DirectX
So, eventually I think I will read my books in the following order:

1. Accelerated C++ (plus exercises on the book)
2. Programming 2D Games (charles Kelly) (+ maybe, online tutorial)
3. Effective C++

The first one will increase my knowledge started with Beginning C++ through game programming, giving me all the basis and some advanced features that will help me to better understand the second one, so than I'll go with the second which will bring me into some more practice and fun, then I'll go with the third one, which will make my know how a bit stronger.

Thanls for your comments!!
Feel free to replay further for some more advises, if you would like to!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.