C++ Code reading from online dictionary rather than offline dictionary.txt?

Hello,

I have a script that checks and compares two lists from an offline dictionary. Dictionary.txt which has a lot of words in it. input.txt will compare to dictionary.txt and print out anything that matches in CMD.

However, instead of using an offline dictionary is there anyway to make a code check an online dictionary? If so, would this process be slow or fast? I have no clue how to make the code which is why I'm here.

If someone could help me out, let me know. I'll post my code.
What I'm trying to say is there anyway at all to make the current script I have which reads from an offline dictionary dictionary.txt read from an online one such as dictionary.com or something.

Does C++ have to be integrated with the web? I'm not really sure about this at all. How would the script be able to 'search' for the word with an online dictionary?

I'm confused about my own question really and would really appreciate some help.

Yes, it can be done, but you need to be able to send HTTP requests to the web site and interpret the responses. This will significantly slow down your program.

C++ does not provide any bult-in support for accessing web sites. You can however use existing libraries such as libcurl to do this.
http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/

What exactly are you using the word list for? Whether using an online source would be feasible (mostly due to latency issues) depends on the kind of operations you expect to perform on the list.
Just to sort through a large list of names (input.txt) that are unwanted and not real words.

If it's not really possible is there a site you'd recommend to get a large list of english words from? If not, all words in an english dictionary?
An online source would be right on the borderline. You'll take a serious performance penalty, though.
okay, I'll call it off. using an online source is a bad idea.

I just need to find a .txt of all english words then.
> is there a site you'd recommend to get a large list of english words from?

Plain text, about 236,000 words, one word per line, 2.5 MB or so
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/share/dict/web2
Thanks, that'll do I believe.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.