A GUI on Windows and Xorg. How to escape the command line?

I'm writing a program that has grown extremely fast. It is now time to overstep boundaries and take this thing to the next level, GUI. Unfortunately, I need to learn how to create a simple GUI window with basic controls and have it compile on both Windows and Linux(Xorg). I don't know which tools I should be using and I don't feel like learning windows.h and xlib (Sounds like hell). I'd also like the GUI to support the use of the Cyrillic, Japanese, Chinese and Persian alphabets.
I'd also prefer to use something that isn't going to go outdated and unsupported any time soon.

It's much better to cut paper with scissors than a spoon.
The Qt framework www.qt.io is one portable possibility.
MONO seems to be an interesting option: http://www.mono-project.com/
Sorry for the lousy question, I was tired when I wrote it. I have a list of things that I can use, but I need to figure out which one would be the best for me but I barely have a criteria to apply. How do you decide which to use and why?
From your criteria, I second Kes' suggestion; QT.

I use it at work and it's an absolute breeze for UTF8; just today I got some fresh Japanese translations in from my erstwhile Japanese chums and dropped them into place. Easy peasy. I also have some Mandarin and Korean in it; similarly easy. QT comes with some nice features and tools to make translations much less painful than they could be.

It's also cross-platform, so once you get your libraries set up on Win and Linux, you'll be able to build the same code on each, which makes things a lot easier. It's got a long histoy, a long future, and a large userbase. I compile the same code (very nearly) on Windows, two different flavours of Linux, and Solaris, and QT is the least of my worries.

The QT "Hello World" is also simple and easy; I recommend getting that going on you Linux and Win builds, and going from there with a common codebase.
Last edited on
I also suggest Qt for all the reasons that Moschops mentioned above.

It comes with it's own IDE: QtCreator which provides a GUI to create your GUI, then generates the code for you. You just need to fill in the methods, and you're good to go. It's almost as easy as Java's swing library to learn, and infinitely more powerful.
QT is definitely great, you could also look into wxWidgets or FTLK.
Hmm, why do you all prefer QT? I'm running ArchLinux, so there are 3 main releases of a program called "vbam". Each one used a different tool to build the program. The only one that actually worked well was the one built with wxWidgets (the other two used GTK and SDL). How does QT compare to these other tools?:

Nana
CEGUI
FLTK
Guiliani
IUP
JUCE
Ultimate++
Views
wxWidgets

Why do you prefer QT over the rest of these?
Last edited on
How's Nana for UTF8 support and easy translations, and does it build on Solaris?
Same question for everything else on that list.
I don't know how to find that information.
Well then just start with QT. It meets all your needs.
That's probably what I'm going to do, but I like having a full understanding of all my options.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.