spyxx_amd64.exe missing !!

Hi all,

I have installed Visual Studio Community 2017 and I do have Spy++ under the Tools Menu but it only captures Window messages for windows in 32Bit applications.

In theory, after installing VS2017,there should also be a 64Bit edition of Spy++ under "C:\Programm Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 2014\Common7\Tools" but it is not there.

Does anybody have a suggestion where I can download a safe copy of 64Bit Spy++ :spyxx_amd64.exe ... I have found a couple of websites but they looked dodgy and suspicious .

If that helps: I am using Windows 10 64Bit.

Thank you.

Last edited on
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\spyxx_amd64.exe
Hi JLBorges,

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\spyxx_amd64.exe"

The spyxx_amd64.exe is not in that folder - It is not installed with VS2017.. That's the reason I started this thread.
Last edited on
Run 'Microsoft Visual Studio Installer'
Choose: Modify Visual Studio Community 2017
Under the 'Optional' components (on the right), select 'VC++ 2017 v141 toolset (x86,x64)'
Thanks but I already installed that toolset last time I run 'Microsoft Visual Studio Installer'.

In fact, every single Optional component is already installed including 'VC++ 2017 v141 toolset (x86,x64)' .. All checkboxes (on the right) are selected and ticked.

Any other suggestion ?
Last edited on
> Any other suggestion ?

No. (Other than the usual 'first uninstall and then reinstall the optional components').

If you intend to down load spyxx_amd64.exe and spyxxhk_amd64.dll from a non-Microsoft site, verify that the files are the ones that are digitally signed by Microsoft.
Before reinstalling Visual Studio you could try WinSpy++ first.
http://www.catch22.net/software/winspy-17#main-content

Works fine on Win 7 32/64bit, and you can even get the source code.
Thanks Thomas1965,

Sounds great ... I'll give that a try and let you know.
I haven't installed yet the WinSpy++ you have suggested but a quick look at the home page suggests that the program doesn't monitor Window messages which is what I am actually after. Is that right ?
I am afraid you are right.
Another option would be Window Detective.
http://windowdetective.sourceforge.net/

However it doesn't say anything about 64bit.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.