CODE HELP!!

qq

Last edited on
Sounds to me like you have a pretty clear specification.
We are not going to write the program for you. What exactly is it that you have problem with?
im only allowed to use cmath , im not sure of how to write ln and cos functions in c++, this is how far i've worked

#include<iostream>
#include<cmath>
double func(double&)
double diriv(double&)
double const c=0.00005;
double const double e = 2.718281828;
double const pi= 3.14159;

int main()
{ int count=0;
double x2,x1;
cout<<"Enter the first approximation: ";
cin>>x1;

x2=x1-(func(x1)/diriv(x1));
while(x2-x1>c)
{
x2=x1-(func(x1)/diriv(x1));
count++;
}

}

double func(double&)
{
double f,pi,e,x1;
f=ln(pow(x1,2)+1)-(pow(e,0.4*x1)*cos(pi*x1);

}

double diriv(double&)
{
double d,e,pi,x1;
d= (2*x1/(pow(x1,2)+1))-(0.4*pow(e,0.4*x1)*cos(pi*x1))-(pi*sin(pi*x1)*pow(e,0.4*x1));

}
Last edited on
ln and cos functions are available in <cmath>. Note that the function log() is actually the natural logarithm (ln). log10() is the log-base-10 function.
http://cplusplus.com/reference/cmath/cos/
http://cplusplus.com/reference/cmath/log/

I noticed you also used pow(e,0.4*x1). A more efficient and common function for this is exp(0.4*x1)
http://cplusplus.com/reference/cmath/exp/

Another thing is that you use pow(x1,2). The pow function isn't very efficient and it takes much less time to compute x1*x1. It's a good idea to use that instead when possible (and it saves some typing!).
Last edited on
closed account (D80DSL3A)
Also, you probably meant to pass x1 to func() and deriv(), not make it a local variable (then use it uninitialized - and e and pi).

Very sloppy.
Here's a recursive one. Just give it a function pointer to the function you want to evaluate.

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>

typedef double (*func)(double); // func is now a pointer to a double f(double) function

// Returns f'(x) given a pointer to f, and value x.
double fprime( func f , double x)
{
    const double dx = 0.000000001; // Theoretically, this should be infinitely close to 0
    return ( f(x + dx) - f(x - dx) ) / (2*dx);
}

// Solves f(x) = 0 for x, 
// Provide: function pointer f, a guess (x0), and the required precision.
double newtonRaphson( func f , double x0, double precision)
{
    double x1 = x0 - f( x0 ) / fprime( f, x0 ); // <-- Newton's method right here!

if ( abs(x1 - x0) < precision ) 
        return x1;

return newtonRaphson( f , x1 , precision ); // Recursion baby!
}

int main()
{
    std::cout << newtonRaphson( cos , 1.6 , 0.0001) << std::endl;
    std::cout << newtonRaphson( log , 1.5 , 0.0001) << std::endl;
    return 0;
}

This gave me 1.5708 when evaluating cos(x) with a guess of 1.6. The real answer is pi/2 which is 1.5707963267948966.... We're within the precision required!

With the exception of our test functions cos and log, the only function from <cmath> that I used was double abs(double); which certainly isn't hard to make yourself.

So yeah, you can just use newtonRaphson() above and use it to evaluate any other functions you may be interested in.

Edit: Added some comments, and typedef'd double (*f)(double).
Last edited on
If you wanted to test your function:
double func(double&)
{
double f,pi,e,x1;

}

I would re-write it like this:
double const pi= 3.14159265359;

double testFunc(double x)
{
    return log(x*x + 1) - exp(0.4*x)*cos(pi*x);
}

Then just plug it into the code above:
int main()
{
    std::cout << newtonRaphson( testFunc , 1.6 , 0.00005) << std::endl;
    return 0;
}

Last edited on
how do i use x1 unutilized ??
X1 unutilized? I'm not sure what unutilized is. Do you mean uninitialized?

Here are the problems with your function:
double func(double&)
You don't specify a name for the double that comes in as an argument. I assume you want double& x1.

double f,pi,e,x1;
You had defined pi and e in the global scope already. You don't need to define them again. x1 is defined here, but should have been defined in the first line.

While you've defined all of these variables, pi, e, and x1 aren't initialized. If you remove the pi and e definitions, then it will use the global scope variables which are good. x1 should have been in the first line. f is ok

}
You don't return a value. try putting return f; before this line.\

One more note, it's also not a good idea to delete your posts. You were probably brought to this forum from a google search when you were searching for answers. If you delete your OP, then no one else can see what we've suggested.
Last edited on
thankk youuu !! i fixed everything you pointed out but its still not working ! i think my problem is in the loops

this is why i had to delete it.. my instructor has a very strict policy when it comes to "asking someone else for help with your assignments".
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.