What are IDEs written in?

Hey guys I was wondering if programs are written in IDEs what are IDEs written in?
Programing languages.
seriously! what compiler was used to write compilers like VS and GCC?
A different compiler. ;)

The first compiler had to be written from scratch, but note that that doesn't mean everything all at once.

You might just have written a compiler to say, deal with some basic variables and typing and then made up another program that did that plus more complex stuff out of those parts, then compiling that.
closed account (S6k9GNh0)
Just to be clear, an IDE isn't a compiler.. which seems to be implied by OP...
VS2012 was probably written with VS2010 which was probably written in VS2008, which was probably written in VS6 which was probably written in...
It all comes to the point, that, the first non-asm compiler was written in asm, and the first asm compiler was hand-written.
It all comes to the point, that, the first non-asm compiler was written in asm, and the first asm compiler was hand-written.

Yes. Because the first computers recognized handwriting, before that you actually had to talk to the machines, which explains all those old Star Trek episodes.
cire wrote:
Because the first computers recognized handwriting

Clarification: Hand-written as of manual bit manipulation i'd say.
firedraco wrote:
The first compiler had to be written from scratch

Can you please elaborate?
EssGeEich wrote:
Clarification: Hand-written as of manual bit manipulation i'd say.

I don't understand what you mean can you explain more please?
Science man, one day PCs were handbuilt and created from very intelligent minds (You may find some huge PCs pictures around the web, they were big as a house's room) and, these intelligent minds, besides creating the PC, also created the machine language, and, to make the first compiler, created a lot of machine language directly in the memory, that interpreted user-friendly code (now-called assembler and assembly).

This is just logic, I didn't check it anywhere but I find it hard aliens dropped a PC with an assembly compiler onboard.
Last edited on
You can confirm what language your IDE is written in by checking what its runtime library dependencies are. On Windows use Depends, on POSIX use ldd.
Yes. Because the first computers recognized handwriting, before that you actually had to talk to the machines, which explains all those old Star Trek episodes.

This made my morning.
EssGeEich wrote:
Science man, one day PCs were handbuilt and created from very intelligent minds (You may find some huge PCs pictures around the web, they were big as a house's room) and, these intelligent minds, besides creating the PC, also created the machine language, and, to make the first compiler, created a lot of machine language directly in the memory, that interpreted user-friendly code (now-called assembler and assembly).

sigh........I guess I have take a class on the history of computers because I knew all that but I meant a little specific than that. (or much more idk)

kbw wrote:
You can confirm what language your IDE is written in by checking what its runtime library dependencies are. On Windows use Depends, on POSIX use ldd.

I actually do know what languages VS was written in via wikipedia. Sadly IDEs is like the only type of software that wikipedia gives that type of info on.
Last edited on
The world's first assembler was written in machine code , then interpreters were written in assembly, compilers written in assembly , gcc 3.2 written on gcc 3.0 ,stroustroup made a C program first to change cpp programs to c and then compile later, subsequent cpp compilers written in cpp - compiled in a previous version of that same compiler, so vc 2013 compiled by vc 2010 and so on
@Science man see an article of your favorite game or a program say photoshop in wikipedia it tells about the language most of the softwarer were written in.
The CPU, in some respects, is just a server. You have to communicate with the CPU if you want a response but it only knows one language. This language is machine code. It's very complicated and very hard to read. However, you can abstract this complicated language using another language. Thus come Assembly, ASM, .S, whatever you wish to call it.

There were probably various other programs made *before* assembly and I believe at least one language (surely someone has heard of punch cards?).

EDIT: My youth betrays me. Punch cards were abstracted on top of things like FORTRAN, even in the 80s. They just stored the program (which baffles me now that I think about... the digital age upcoming, using paper...?).
Last edited on
amhedu wrote:
@Science man see an article of your favorite game or a program say photoshop in wikipedia it tells about the language most of the softwarer were written in.

That's not true for games. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_War_3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_2)
Although I know they are written in C++ but I found that out from yahoo answers.

There might be licensing issues with that to be honest... Perhaps they can't publicly say since proprietary games have explicit proprietary licensing against reverse-engineering which may be put in the category of figuring out what type of symbols were exported or snooping around for information on the internals of the game.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.