• Forum
  • Jobs
  • Seeking advice on developing a basic exp

Seeking advice on developing a basic expert system

Hi all,
I have identified a requirement in my company for a knowledge base and I am looking for help in developing a pattern to do the following:
An app with a gui interface will call a C program passing parameters: current question number and option taken (either yes or no)
The called program will Read a csv file in to a binary tree, file will contain yes/no questions and next step or recommendations using deductive reasoning to trouble shoot issues, with the option taken the program will move the current pointer to the new question/positon based on the answer, and return the new position to the calling program e.g.

Is the computer responding to keyboard input
/ \
(Y) (N)
/ \
(Next question) Reboot computer, problem solved?
/ \ / \
(Y) (N) (Y) (N)
|
Likely cause software issue
Ensure latest updates installed

At this time, believe we will only require a binary tree as the question are y/n,

I guess you can call this a basic expert system, it is not my objective to profit from this idea but to alleviate a head-count problem and dependency on one senior staff member who is due to retire soon, I would make this open source. Anyone interested in helpinh out?

Last edited on
Hi, contact me.

email: cronopiomx@gmail.com

Count me in, too!

email: balazs.dukat@gmail.com
I would like to contribute.

Are you putting this project up on GitHub, by any chance?
I hope not. I am not a fan of GitHub, and I do not like most IDEs either, apart from DevC++, though I am familiarising myself with Codeblocks now.

The important part:

I am in the process of creating my own expert system-like software. It will use a different methodology than the one outlined above, it will just take input and deduct things for itself rather than aiming to end up in one of the few possible ends, but on the other hand it is going to be adaptable of course. Also I gave it a more advanced data structure, stuff will be stored in a binary tree, but rules will govern the relationships between them, and when I finished with it, each possible outcome (THEN, ELSE or even a third or a fourth outcome) of each rule will include a set of things rather than just a single outcome (so not just IF sth THEN A ELSE B, but more like: IF sth THEN A B C ELSE D E F G).

Again, please contact me on my e-mail address above!

P.S.:
Actually I have completed an expert system for diagnostic purposes already. I find it fairly possible to adapt it to your needs!
Last edited on
You're post is pretty vague. I won't infer anything: you'll have to explicitly tell me what you're doing.

Also, github is a fantastic tool. I encourage you to use it if you're going to make this project open source.
Last edited on
My post is not vague, I just do not know who wants to know what.
I gave a basic description of what I am doing, but not a complete one.

GitHub might be useful for people who have others to work with but I have no one; I hardly have any time to finish what I am doing. Actually I should have finished this on my own already.

When it comes to open source, it is a good idea, but I want my creation to open a few doors for me, not for others to take, criticise and modify. I know that others are better at this than I am now and I do not need anyone to tell me that. I would only ridicule myself with uploading it and making it open source as if it was so great.
BitBucket is a great alternative, and you can host private projects there for free.
Thank you Avilius! :)
Geminiman, where are you? Is anything going on with your idea?
Sounds like you'd be modeling it based on something like this:
http://en.akinator.com/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.