• Forum
  • Jobs
  • [Profit Share] Programmer needed for Ind

[Profit Share] Programmer needed for Indie Game

Pages: 123
I am looking for a person that will be willing to be the programer for a game being made by an idie group. We are in need of a few programers, unless you think you will be able to do it on your own.

The only thing i require is that you have proper knowledge of the language. You should be able to code the game from the ground up.

The game is a turnbased RPG. The battle system is that of Final Fantasy Tactics. The movment around town, wild, dungeons and so forth are like that of pokemon games.

If you wish to join reply to this thread and further details will be sent to you.

Edit: a Private Message will be sent to all that reply, turn on your PM's if you have not.

Edit 2: this are a must of all who wish to join.
C++ language - this is a must
Python - It's similar to C++ but it's not necessary for he/she to know it
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 - Game is being developed in this, so it's required
Last edited on
Hello,

I am interested to find out more informations about this project.
I have about 5 years of coding experience (V)C++ in MSVC 2005/2008/2010 and I also worked on this projects http://sourceforge.net/projects/jaelc/ and http://sourceforge.net/projects/deckfight/ ( which both have been closed due lack of programmers ).

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Best Regards, Ivan.
We now need a second programer, in c++, to help our current member code.
If you wish to join please reply and further details will be given.
Hello,

I am an experienced C++ programmer, with quite a bit of time on my hands. please PM me with details, and I hope we can work something out.

Regards,
Just yesterday i managed to find myself another programer. So at the moment i do not seem to be in need of another, but if something changes ill send you the PM and we can see if you still want to join.
I have sent you the details over the project. Sorry for the wait.
my current programer has this to say of what is required from the ones that join.
C++ language - this is a must
Python - It's similar to C++ but it's not necessary for he/she to know it
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 - Game is being developed in this, so it's required

I would also like to note that i have found two programer and they both have not responded to my messages or emails for a prolonged time. So now if you wish join you also have to stay in contact with me or my current programer.

So you guys HAVE to stay in contact with me or my programer. If i or my programer ask you a question i will expect an answer within the following day or two. Anyone to go absent for a prolonged amount of time without any notice will be kicked out of the team with no questions asked.

The reasons for this is because the two new programers i have found went absent on the second day they were added and stayed so for a week or more.

Do note i dont expect you to answer your emails or messages the second they are sent. Just that you atleast take a minute of each day to check your emails or message. If you have to go absent for a time i also need to know so i dont just assume you quit and i kick you out.

Main post also updated.
Two to three programmers to make a RPG that you compared to two AAA titles (Final Fantasy Tactics and Pokemon)? Sounds like you have lofty goals. Have you ever made a game before so you aren't trying to do things that can't be done?
The currrent programer is already working on it and says hes able to do it. It is not something hard to do. Both games are also games that one can even make in RPG maker or so, given of course it wont be exactly the same, but ours wont be exactly the same as those.

I named those two games so people can know the basic idea of what i want.

If what i asked of the people cant be done then the two games i mentioned would not be there now would they.

Now im looking for someone to help my current programer. He already has everything planed out.
Python - It's similar to C++

No it's not =P
Yes Python is interpreted scripting language and it's not literally a lot similar with C++ but the main point was that if some one have C++ knowledge then he/she would not have trouble to adjust using Python.
The currrent programer is already working on it and says hes able to do it. It is not something hard to do. Both games are also games that one can even make in RPG maker or so, given of course it wont be exactly the same, but ours wont be exactly the same as those.

I named those two games so people can know the basic idea of what i want.

If what i asked of the people cant be done then the two games i mentioned would not be there now would they.

Now im looking for someone to help my current programer. He already has everything planed out.

That post right there tells me you two have no clue what you are in for. The difference in your idea and the two AAA titles you named is that those titles were made by teams of 30+ programmers as well as groups of artists, sound techs, etc. While you have you, one programmer, and who knows for art or sound/music. Having ambition is fine, but you are trying to get programmers for a game where they will be under the programmer who may not even have enough experience to make the game. Making a RPG is actually one of the hardest games you could right before going into 3D programming. You have to do the script, then in code make the graphics engine, font engine, decide if you are going to script it or not, sound engine, etc. Then you have to detail the items, weapons, armor, vehicles (if any). Towns, dungeons, world maps, hidden areas (if any), etc. The fun part is making the code that will represent all this.

Elysian Shadows is a 2D JRPG style game that has been under development from scratch for 5+ years and even restarted from scratch once. Two of their team members have made and published a game, and yet ES is still being developed (they have a good size team too).A RPG that is coded in Allegro called Fenix Blade was being done by two guys and they got burned out on it so it hasn't been updated in several years now.

RPG Maker is basically an engine where the graphics are supplied (and I don't remember if you can supply your own in the PC version) and you basically script it which is not the same as making an RPG from scratch in C++ as you will have to make the engine and everything.

What games has he made to make him think he is ready to jump head first into such a large undertaking?

Yes Python is interpreted scripting language and it's not literally a lot similar with C++ but the main point was that if some one have C++ knowledge then he/she would not have trouble to adjust using Python.

C++ is considered one of, if not the hardest, programming language to learn. If you have C++ knowledge you can pick up any language with little to no trouble. That doesn't make them similar to C++. The syntax has nothing to do with, all languages follow a set of techniques and the same core fundamentals. Once you have them down you can quickly learn other languages.
C++ is considered one of, if not the hardest, programming language to learn.

Ok Mr. Technical Guy. The hardest? You must be kidding right? I don't have Bachelors Degree nor my parents had money to send me in that kind of schools.
Like I said I don't have Bachelors Degree but bear with me when I say that that Assembly language is most hardest.

And yes you saw all thru. We want to make the all new Final Fantasy XVII
In last 4 years I was working on two open source games. Both projects got frozen due to lack of qualified people unfortunately. People often come and think "Hey let's make a game, it will be fun and quick." And after some time they see how much there is work to be done and leave.

Edit: This text "And yes you saw all thru. We want to make the all new Final Fantasy XVII" was sarcasm in case that some one don't get it.
Last edited on
Assembly language is most hardest.

Assembly is actually one of the easiest languages to learn.

I think what you are trying to say is that making complicated stuff with it is hard.
I say that that Assembly language is most hardest.

Which assembly? There are several. 6502 is actually pretty simple. Assembly is just lower level ... that doesn't really mean it's harder... it just means it's closer to how the hardware actually behaves.

But anyway, I don't mean to bust your chops. Sorry. You just made a blanket statement about Python being similar to C++ and I felt I need to chime in and be a wiseguy about it.

I personally don't care whether or not your team really does have the drive to finish a game, so I see no reason to speculate as to whether or not it will happen. I think the naysayers in this thread should relax and let this guy do his thing.

I know we've all see a million of these kinds of threads, and it's fun to call them out on it... but it's not really necessary. I say, If you're not interested in helping out, then don't help out. But no need to shout this guy down and discourage him. That doesn't help anybody.

I apologize for my role in the deterioration of this thread and hope we can all get along and move on.
Alright, maybe we do fall out and dont finish this. You can then say told you so.
Or we do finish it and you can look at yourself and say i was wrong.

But i will say that i plan to go through this till the very end. Major gaming compaines also request you guys to have experience in creating a game. What better way then an indie group.

There have been plenty of indie groups with small teams that make huge hits.

Now if you guys have wisdom in game development, then share it. If not then dont be posting replys saying how, or making sound, as if we do not know what i or my group is doing.

Now finaly, this is a good way for anyone who needs some experience to get it. The experience may be small, or big, but some experience is better than none.

So if you wish to join than make a post or send me a message. Otherwise ignore this thread and move on.

No need to reply to start, with or without intention to do so, an argument about how something is or is not similiar to something else Or how it may or may not be hard. Remeber some things are easier for some while it may be hard for others.
k Mr. Technical Guy. The hardest? You must be kidding right?

No, I'm being serious. C++ combines a lot of paradigms so once you learn it, it becomes much easier to learn other languages. I've been on many forums where I always see people say to learn C# because it is easier than C++, then go learn C++ and any other language after that.

There have been plenty of indie groups with small teams that make huge hits.

Yes, but the huge thing you are leaving out is that they aren't one hit wonders. They have done the normal list of game projects (Tic-Tac-Toe, Pong, Breakout, Tetris, PacMan, Mario, etc) before they did their huge game.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm trying to be the voice of reason. I've been programming for 14 years (all of it in game programming) and I've never seen or heard of anyone going from no previous experience to finished RPG. I've had an RPG planned for years that I claimed combined 3 different RPGs aspects (deep story, central headquarters, and huge cast of characters). Reason I haven't made it, I know how big an undertaking it is. I'm just saying you need to hold off and do some smaller projects to build experience before doing something as involved as an RPG.

The reason they are hard to make is because the more failures you have without success the quicker you will get burned out on the idea. Not trying to be a naysayer or cause an argument. If your ultimate goal is an RPG then great, keep that goal and do it, but wait and do other projects before it to get experience and minimize the risk of your team mates getting burned out or not caring to do it any more.
again i request only those who wish to join to post a reply or send me a message.

This is a good way for anyone who wishes to gain experince in game development to get it, regarding as how little or much of it you get.
Elysian Shadows is a 2D JRPG style game that has been under development from scratch for 5+ years and even restarted from scratch once. Two of their team members have made and published a game, and yet ES is still being developed (they have a good size team too).A RPG that is coded in Allegro called Fenix Blade was being done by two guys and they got burned out on it so it hasn't been updated in several years now.

That's because that game is a joke... they've restarted the project something like 4 times now.

They're all good programmers, but they don't seem to be focused on the end product as much as the journey (which is fine).

Luciangrim, out of curiousity, what are you contributing to the project? And a piece of advice: you should probably open up the repositories to your games source code so that interested programmers can familiarize themselves with the code.
they don't seem to be focused on the end product as much as the journey

That's my biggest problem.
Pages: 123