[Profit Share] Programmer needed for Indie Game

Pages: 123
I am co-owner of the group. So besides being such, i am also the one who came up with the whole idea.

I came up with the idea to make an RPG. What the art shoudl be like, How the battles should be like. What the story, quests, characters, etc should be like. How the music should be like.

Besides that i am in charge of finding people to join. I manage all teams. I chat with the artist, programgers, etc.

I am also the one creating the storyline, quests, npcs, lore, and other such aspects to the game.

The team has 11 people in it at the moment.

Now most of you think im trying to make an AAA title.... NO its a new indie group and as such were making an indie game. The titles i gave as example are there because they show how i want the game to be like the best.

Not how i want the art to be, music to be, the moves to be etc.

This project will also not start from scratch at all. I know exactly what i would like this game to be like.

Most of you also seem to think i am asking for someone to work on this for 24/7. No, i ask you take some time of your day to work on it, be it an hour or five.

Now thanks to this long post, and other posts, most will think this thread turned out to be an arugment. If so, i now have more peoples discouraged from wanting to join....

Is there a way i can delete all this posts so i can get it back on track? Perhaps delete this thread and start a new one?
I'm not trying to argue or anything, just giving you a reality check. I've brought up your experience and your programmer's experience in all my posts and you have continued to say what you said the project is or isn't. My issue with your post isn't so much the AAA title or not, but rather what you haven't said. You have not said once what previous experience you have nor have you said what your programmer's previous experience is. You are saying a lot about what you have planned but little about your experience. Most of your posts are sounding, to me (and maybe others), like "I have an idea, but no experience and want the experienced programmers to make it for me". You have to be forthcoming with your experience and maybe samples of it so they can see what you have done to know they aren't jumping in with some fanboy with his head in the clouds. What you aren't saying is hurting you more than what you are saying.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
I request for all posts in this thread to be deleted. So i can edit the main post to have better information and put it on track. Also so further, if not current, thread viewers to not be discourged from the purpose of the thread due to the many posts the may, or may not, seem to be an arguement.

Or the deletion of this thread so i may make a new one and do the above.

Also for no others to continue posting on this thread, unless it has to do with joining the team.

BHXSpecter, why don't you just leave him alone? He can set his own goals, and telling him to give up his project isn't accomplishing anything.
BHXSpecter, why don't you just leave him alone? He can set his own goals, and telling him to give up his project isn't accomplishing anything.

Never said to give up on it, just to hold off and get experience by doing smaller projects. I've brought up his experience in every post and in every reply he has avoided answering what his previous experience is. I would assume that anyone interested in his team would like to know if they are getting a experienced designer and programmer or if they are joining a team where they will have to pull the weight due to having more experience than their team members. The fact that he has avoided it every time makes me think the latter and is probably coming across to others like that.

I'll leave him alone when he stops avoiding my question and states his and his programmers experience as I consider that a huge selling point for people to join his team.
@BHXSpecter
Who's to say this project is too big for them? Whether they succeed or fail it will likely be beneficial. Learning to work with a team on its own is worth it, its easy to program by yourself, not so easy to work with other programers with other opinions.

BHXSpecter wrote:
I'll leave him alone when he stops avoiding my question and states his and his programmers experience as I consider that a huge selling point for people to join his team.

Unless you are considering joining, why do you care what experience they have?
Last edited on
@BHXSpecter
Who's to say this project is too big for them? Whether they succeed or fail it will likely be beneficial. Learning to work with a team on its own is worth it, its easy to program by yourself, not so easy to work with other programers with other opinions.

If he wants to pursue a career in game creation, then doing a project like this will not be beneficial to him. There is little to no chance that it will be successful due to the sheer lack of experience. Once everybody on the team realizes that and starts quitting/getting discouraged, the whole career desire will go away. Same thing happened to me.
Once everybody on the team realizes that and starts quitting/getting discouraged, the whole career desire will go away.

Or maybe they'll think "Hmm, we're clearly not ready for a project of this scale yet, let's try something a little simpler."

I've brought up his experience in every post and in every reply he has avoided answering what his previous experience is. I would assume that anyone interested in his team would like to know if they are getting a experienced designer and programmer or if they are joining a team where they will have to pull the weight due to having more experience than their team members.

Luciangrim doesn't have to answer your questions if he/she doesn't want too, and persisting to ask them questions that they have clearly refused to answer isn't going to accomplish anything.

That's just being immature. If someone doesn't answer your question the first four times, do you keep asking them again and again?

Just let this thread die, all you've accomplished here is pissing a few people off.
Last edited on
Unless you are considering joining, why do you care what experience they have?

Actually I was as well as a friend I know that is wanting to get into doing art for games, but she has backed out over his not answering.

Luciangrim doesn't have to answer your questions if he/she doesn't want too, and persisting to ask them questions that they have clearly refused to answer isn't going to accomplish anything.
That's just being immature. If someone doesn't answer your question the first four times, do you keep asking them again and again?

Just let this thread die, all you've accomplished here is pissing a few people off.

Well I'm an asshole to begin with, but I went to a few game dev sites I'm part of asking if I was an asshole for my posts here. While some agree I'm an asshole for some of my remarks they all agree that previous experience is a key in securing a team while his reluctance to say reflects poorly on him and his idea. I could probably find a few more of my friends that do sound, art, and program that would be willing to join his team, but they will ask the same questions I have and have the same reactions for his reluctance to answer.
Alot of posts for being gone for a short time.

anyways, i never did not answer your questions. It may have been my fault for not being clear. I rember saying we are a new indie group, as such this will be our first game.

Now my current programger is Ivan so it may be my fault for not making that clear either. But to those who wish to know his experince have to do noting but look at the second post on this thread.

My artist has worked on the game Graal online, i believe thats the name, and has just recently been hired by a gaming company. So that proves he has the skills needed.

My co-owner has also had some experince in game development.

So we are not going at this blind. I also want to make this clear, i am not aiming to create an RPG game thats worth like a high end title worth around 60 but an indie game worth around 5, maybe more or less. I am aware it will not be the best, or perhaps it will.

But what better way to learn to create an RPG than creating RPGs??
Last edited on
Well I'm an asshole to begin with

This is not an excuse.

While some agree I'm an asshole for some of my remarks they all agree that previous experience is a key in securing a team while his reluctance to say reflects poorly on him and his idea.

I also agree that previous experience is important, but that's not my point. Being an asshole is always the wrong way to go about something.

Anyhow, I'm done with this thread, it's become incredibly stupid.
Anyhow, I'm done with this thread, it's become incredibly stupid

my reason for wanting to get it back on track by removing all posts or createing a new thread.
luciangrm, thank you for replying with that information.

I'll talk to my friends and see if any of them want to join up. I know 2 won't as one is on vacation with his family right now and has a project set up for when he gets back and the other has previous agreements he has to fulfil. Leaves me with 6 guys I can talk to about joining. I'll have them contact you if they are interested. Do you have an email they can contact you through? I don't know if any of them have accounts on here.

I've heard of Graal before and even played it a little at one point (http://www.graalonline.com/ ).

Have to discuss this project with my wife as we determine together what time I have to dedicate to indie projects. Though, after making an ass of myself I may have to decline out of feeling uncomfortable with these circumstances :P.

luciangrim, I'm also very happy to say I'm obviously wrong. My remarks were made on the assumption your team had no experience. The fact is it appears you have a mostly veteran team so I hope to be buying you game in the distant future. Please accept my apologies for making such sweeping assumptions towards you and your team.
this site would be good. Or my email to.

vmijares@drury.edu

I myself did not see you as being an ass... just as someone who worded things in a bad way. I understood what you meant in all your posts.
I'm hardly qualified as a programmer to help...but I've wanted to be a music producer and sound designer in an indie game for a while now. Got a spot open for that?
Hello I really doubt that i would be much help but if you would i would love to a part of this project I promise that any profit made at all I don't want it i just want to be a part of the team. I'm really more of a "kid" to be honest just going to the 10th grade but if there is any simple programming to be done I would love to help. I have a full year and a half of experience.

You can email me at justinmlewis1997@gmail.com
Last edited on
Please check your pm i believe i am well qualified.
closed account (zb0S216C)
What qualities are you looking for in an applicant?

Wazzak
Strong knowledge in C++ and Microsoft visual studio 2010.

Above that i also requires all that wish to to join to remain in contact with me. I have had a few who did not stay in contact for a while, a while being a week or more, and i kicked them out of the group. I only aspect for you, or who ever wishes to join, to check their messages, emails, skype, or what ever contact form we use once a day.

currently im looking to seeing if the two new guys i got are good.
Luciangrim, is it worth adding strong mathematical skills to your requirements? Practically a prerequisite for game development in my experience.
Pages: 123