When did you really start programming

Pages: 12345
My 14th birthday was September 2012.

I started coding on and off March 2012-September 2012. I picked it back up April 2013 and have done it since.

Keep in my in April I got all the basics extremely quickly because I already learned everything from before.

If you are wondering how I got these dates it is based on my post history. This is the second search result when you google "C++" which is how I discovered it and have always had it(or at least the beginners forum) handy.

The reason why I started programming is because I was bored and had recently discovered what programming even was(I think in a Minecraft forum). I wanted to try it myself. I chose C++ because my Software Engineer cousin told me to.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
i am a pr0 h4x0r wh0 iz bo$$ w1th b4tch
Spoken like a true 12 year old.
^so true. Why was my post reported?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Probably because you always tend to act like a troll and derail thread after thread?
@Fredbill30
pr0 h4x0rs never claim publicaly themeselves h4x0rs this tells for that you aren't.

I started programming when i was 14 (C++).
Last edited on
It was so long ago, that I can't remember. I was probably 10 or 11 (GW Basic, Pascal then C). At age 13 (7th grade) I recall writing some simple games and fixing bugs in a program of the teacher, who was also a self-taught programmer. Yay, programming was such a fun then. And there was no Internet and figuring out even very basic things were much harder than now.
Heh, I started three years ago. I was a sysadmin, decided the part of sysadmin-ing I liked the best was scripting (Perl/Python/ksh), so I thought to myself - why not get a job where I got to do that all day?

So I bought the book(s), picked up a few projects, applied for some jobs and finally got one that didn't require me to take a pay cut.
I don't detrail threads at all and I am not aware that I troll.

When threads get detrailed its because you guys answer and then someone replys to that answer which gets offtopic ever so slowly. Don't blame me for what others do.
Last edited on by Fredbill30
closed account (G309216C)
Really? We all think you are one of the biiggest trolls here if not the BIGGEST.

But must admit it is quite amusing.
So it seems that SpaceWorm is the reporter.

I don't troll at all. I'm just joking around but you guys get all butthurt and take it seriously.

I want an example of when I troll.
What??? I did not report anything nor will ever. Well I said you are amusing and I have nothing against you nor I EVER WANT TO
Last edited on
I am confused because I never once on these forums had a trolling intent.

I wrote:

i am a pr0 h4x0r wh0 iz bo$$ w1th b4tch
amhndu wrote:

@Fredbill30
pr0 h4x0rs never claim publicaly themeselves h4x0rs this tells for that you aren't.

I find it amusing how someone DID NOT realize I was joking. I mean, that was obvious.
well, currently we are moving away from topic. LOL besides back off each other. becuase I can see a massive Cyber Verbal Abuse War coming up sooner or later
I don't abuse people verbally. Lol.

===THIS SHOULD GET BACK ON TOPIC BELOW THIS LINE===
i know but there would be some type of arguement between two people which will result in verbal abuse and finally people taking sides.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Fredbill we could care less when you make jokes on threads that aren't about serious topics. But it is a whole different thing when you come into serious discussions and make stupid comments (IE Sarcastic comments that aren't needed, jokes, ect) like you have been doing a lot recently.

Here is a good saying. "It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid, then to open it and be proven stupid" or something along those lines.

Meaning if you don't have anything to contribute to a serious discussion other then sarcastic comments, jokes or whatever don't post at all.

It was fine for awhile, but get really old and annoying after time at least to me it does. Just because you are young doesn't mean you have to act immature.

That is all I got to say on this subject.
Last edited on
i started programming late, i wish I started sooner

I feel the same about basketball, the kids who played at 12 to 15 and stopped for ten years and played for two years are still better than my five years of playing almost twice as mutch as they ever did!

Although the amount of time I put into practicing code is phenominal, I never felt like I was learning anything from nothing so fast...well that was the case until recently, after my college interview the guy I spoke to told me that I should concentrate on learning maths when I asked him what I should get on with studying when I get home, of course I slowed right down, Im not as in to maths.

you may be wondering how much free time I have, the answer to this is that in my world view free time is wealth and too much money is just a waste of free time
Last edited on
I've been programming for a year I think, I started with Java because I was learning web development and I got a book I mistook for Javascript, and when I opened the book I realized it was a programming language and understood it I changed to C++ and have been doing it for a little, so I guess I started at 25. and yes I really do wish I started earlier, but when I was 12, My family didn't even have a computer, much less my on to practice programming on, I think a lot more younger people are doing it sooner because computers are so much more widely available and you can search almost anything on the internet to learn how to do it.
To be honest, I wish young people stop programming apart from few because if Software Engineering becomes too filled up this will result in finding Jobs becoming ever so hard so such sectors should remain only for the really intelligent people.
Pages: 12345