Laptop for C++ programmer

Pages: 12
closed account (1yR4jE8b)
Screen size means nothing, it's all about resolution. A 15" 1080p screen has the same amount of real-estate as a 50" 1080p screen.
Screen size doesn't mean nothing. Screen size to resolution ratio determines both the image quality (pixel density: a 15" 1080p screen has 146 ppi while a 50" one has only 44 ppi) and the physical size of the image: 800x600 is a lot easier on the eyes on a small screen than 1080p, even if the quality is worse.

Pixel density is why the same image can look amazing on a phone screen but horrible on a computer screen: my phone has pixel density 218 ppi whereas my monitor's is 96.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
I have a Compac NC6000 because I want to make games for lower-end machines. But that's just me.
'__'

It was a joke...
Want the Hardware to last? Then Sony or Samsung
No? Then HP
Lenovo and Apple are both making great hardware these days. I'd take either company over the competitors. Let me guess, though--it's expensive, right?
Packard-Bell EasyNote is pretty decent, if you oil it regularly and tighten the bolts every now and then.
"Screen size means nothing, it's all about resolution. A 15" 1080p screen has the same amount of real-estate as a 50" 1080p screen."

Nope, because beyond some resolution, there is no visual difference. Theoretically more pixels let you set smaller fonts and you could fit "more" on the same display size, but that doesn't really work very well unless you're willing to get your eyesight worsen quickly because of strain caused by looking at too-small text or by keeping your head too close to the monitor (the distance from your eyes to the monitor should be withing 40-70 cm range and definitely not closer than 40 cm). That's why a 15'' retina laptop display is nowhere near that comfortable as a 30'' 2560x1600 display, although their resolutions are similar.

I must say plugging in power and DisplayPort takes me so long

What about external keyboard, printer, sound, scanner, ethernet? And what about pluggin in more than one external monitor? You have only one DP on your laptop. I can easily plug three external monitors (2 DVI + 1 DP). Working with only one monitor is so 90s. ;)
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
What about external keyboard, printer, sound, scanner, ethernet?
My keyboard and mouse are wireless and talk directly to the MacBook without any dongles. My printer and scanner is on the network and I connect to that wireless. Sound DisplayPort or streamed wireless to my hi-fi.

And what about pluggin in more than one external monitor? You have only one DP on your laptop.
If I wanted to use more monitors than the laptop and external there are solutions that still only require plugging in the DisplayPort.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for big desktop systems...at work but that is where it stays, in my office at work...not very flexible but I don't need it to be.

Home is a totally different kettle of fish. It is more important for me to be flexible...with a laptop.
You know I have no problem programming on my single 15" 1080p LED display, I may be wrong but at my low level of programming I don't see a point in getting anything more, I mean I've been making small games and stuff at the moment, but even if I go WAY beyond that this computer can handle it I'm sure. The only thing I can think of having more than one screen is to debug a game or something while it's playing on the other screen. I may be wrong, and I would like to know any other reason for having another screen
Usually for reference documentation (man pages, etc.) or design specs on one screen and development on the other. That's generally how I use my screens.

Other uses include monitoring email while working and copying/pasting session information while reporting or investigating bugs into the tracking tool.
I'm far-sighted, but I don't need glasses. I may be one of those 30-year-old programmers, in 25 years, who has glasses, lol. My doctor says my eyes are straining a lot when I focus on close objects (like a monitor, or a book). I don't see how I won't end up with glasses at age 25, with my profression being what it is.

I also feel a considerable difference when I do not have to focus on small/close-up objects: it's easier (and i feel more relaxed).

The bigger the better. If you get a huge monitor, I suggest finding a way to mount it a couple feet from the desk, lol.

I have 1ft by 1.4ft (estimate...) monitor, and I feel the strain, so just because "size doesn't matter" when it comes to quality, doesn't mean it doesn't matter when it comes to your health.

I would be perfectly happy writing my code on a 56" monitor placed 7ft away from my keyboard, in text that could be put on a poster board for a sign (big). Not to mention, would be awsome for watching movies on!
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I may be one of those 30-year-old programmers, in 25 years, who has glasses, lol.

Wait your 5 years old? You got damn good writing skills for a 5 year old :p

Anyways as for the laptop to get if you have a few grand to blow I would go with my dream laptop that I am getting in a few weeks (Once it finally ships) the Razer Blade Pro, or if he doesn't need a big one with the fancy touchpad the Razer Blade.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12