python seems so easy

Pages: 12345
@Fred You do, and you did by saying to the people in this forum that c++ has no challengers other than C and Java meaning it gave DTS a chance to explain to you about it.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Okay, but it's still not changing my opinion.

You forgot 2 languages german.
@Fred The point in saying this wasn't to change your mind :P Just to put more information where you said
The only one who can do it is me.
This is sort of stupid I know, but I tried to think of a sort of analogy to express the way I perceive his attitude.

Fredbill: Becky has hairy arms, so I think she is a terrible person.

person: But hairy arms do not imply terrible person.

Fredbill: You can have your opinions, and I can have mine. I hate hairy arms, I'll hate her forever, and you'll never change my mind.

person: But you don't even know her.

Fredbill: I know she has hairy arms. I'll hate whoever I want for whatever reasons I want.
Last edited on
^Exactly.
Python is cool, until the point where the project is big and you have to refactor it and you realize there is no f***ing possibility to do that without breaking most of everything. Then you pay your debt. All the time you saved on not-having to write the types, you are spending now, but twice or 3 times more, struggling to make all the unit tests pass. Assuming you do have enough unit tests with extremely high code coverage, of course, do you? Because otherwise you screwed totally. That's why I've never seen a Python project that underwent a major refactoring.
Last edited on
I love strongly typed languages for refactoring, the compiler catches 90% of mistakes.

Also, the internet is forever: http://i.imgur.com/CEnEMll.png?1
Last edited on
closed account (3qX21hU5)
As others have said before there is a time and place for every language. C++ is a great language for preformance critical desktop applications though is the completely wrong language to produce a dynamic website in which Python and Ruby do quite well.

Another example is scripting languages do quite well in game development like in the game logic, where as C++ would be much better suited for the graphics, physics and collision detection.

There isn't really a language out there that can do everything and do it well (Though some do try). Which is why it isn't really a smart choice to lock yourself down into just one language and not care about any of the others.

@ Fredbill

I am curious have you even developed any significant program in Python or "Those crappy web languages"? Cause your argument seems quite shallow. If you haven't I would highly suggest you actually give those languages a try before you start ruling them out and saying they are "crappy languages".

I am not trying to convert you to liking Python or those web languages you are entitled to your opinion. I am just saying before you judge a language you should at least be familiar with it.

Don't get me wrong there are many things wrong with Python which the same could be said about C++ and any language really.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWTnIoQZj4
I honestly don't even think about learning HTML because it looks gay.

I never said Ruby was crappy. I said Python was. Back in my "i wnt 2 mke a c0d gme" days, I actually dabbled in Python because of Blender.

That being said, I don't remember it well, and I remember vividly that I didn't like it. I don't know exactly why else.
HTML because it looks gay

you are beyond hope. you havent listened to a word anyone has said.

I never said Ruby was crappy

cool. no one said you did
You are so very closed minded fredbill if you want any chance of being a professional development I would highly suggest you get out of this state of mind you have where you won't use any other language and say they all suck even though you really don't know anything about them.

I like that hairy arms analogy it actually fits quite well. All you are doing is judging things from the surface without knowing anything about them. Its like saying you hate the taste of apples because they are round but haven't ever tried one before.

Also please stop using the word "gay" even though technically it means "happy" (I think at least that is what I heard) many people find that word offensive when used like you are using it.
Last edited on
ok heres my last attempt at explaining this...

its not the fact that you dont like the languages fred. thats fine. i dont like a lot of other languages. the point is that they dont suck just because i dont like them or write good code with them. i see the value in ruby even though i absolutely hate it. i program in bf not because it will look good on resume, but because it teaches me how to think through a problem. else i would never touch that horrid little language.
Fine. Python is bad. I just don't like it.

You know what, I just don't like it. Others might think it's cool, I don't, and I probably never will.

I don't actually mean the web languages are crap, I just haven't found a use to them (Not really interested in web dev).
Also please stop using the word "gay" even though technically it means "happy"

It hasn't meant that in 60 years.

many people find that word offensive when used like you are using it.

Of all the gay people I've met and know (which has been a reasonable number), I have yet to meet one who was offended by that use of the word "gay" (many use it that way themselves). Typically the ones that are offended are straight people trying to be overly PC/sensitive.

And guys... seriously.. remember. Fredbill is 13. A teenager.

The defining characteristic of a teenager is they think they know what they're talking about but they really have no clue. Until he turns 19 or 20, his opinion really could not matter any less.
Last edited on
Of all the gay people I've met and know (which has been a reasonable number), I have yet to meet one who was offended by that use of the word "gay" (many use it that way themselves). Typically the ones that are offended are straight people trying to be overly PC/sensitive.

I have many gay friends also and you are right most of them don't mind the word when used in the right context. But when you use the word "gay" to imply something is "bad" ,"sucks", "is horrible", or whatever it can be seen as offensive at least to me and the friends I have talked to about it.

I have no problem when people say "Are you gay?" or "Yes he is gay" obviously because that is what they are.

And guys... seriously.. remember. Fredbill is 13. A teenager.

The defining characteristic of a teenager is they think they know what they're talking about but they really have no clue. Until he turns 19 or 20, his opinion really could not matter any less.

I try and remember this everytime I reply to one of his posts but for some reason he gets under my skin a lot with him comments ;p.
Zereo, are you gay?
No I'm not. Though why does it matter?
Please stop posting.
because how would you like it if we started using your name for crappy stuff.
example: wow that post was really freddy zereo.

we could even make it a verb if you want
Pages: 12345