Do you know how to touch type?

Pages: 12
And at last another useful answer.
Thanks much.
I think i just leave touch typing for tomorrow.
Whenever I got free time.
I would concentrate on learning to program now.
I got a touch typing game where you had to type out the words on airships before they got across the screen. It was an absolute pain in the **** to learn where the letters were, but actually, just doing 1-2 hours a day, I was up to perfectly fine touch typing and 40-50 WPM in about two weeks. (edit: LOL this sounds exactly like one of those advertising posts you get!) Once you know where the letters are, the speed increase is rapid!

Since then, I have only done whatever typing I do day to day and have gotten up to a speed of around 80WPM. I look back on those 1-2 hours a day, which were very boring and am EXTREMELY GLAD that I did them. Not only can I program faster as a result, but essays in school were faster and typing out forum posts is quicker. It's useful for having multiple conversations on Facebook too. I would definitely recommend taking the time out to learn to do it.
Last edited on
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
@Mats You can type 80WPM?! I took a class and ended up with 35WPM and now I am up to 45WPM.
Last edited on
closed account (N36fSL3A)
How fast you can type doesn't necessarily mean you're a slow programmer.
Most people can touch type at 80+ WPM. Office job requirements always say something low, like the minimum 42 WPM, but they expect something better.
Is it possible to learn using a lapttop?
Considering the smaller key sizes. And i got relatively big fingers.
Laptops and fancy touch screens are not beginning-typist and fat-finger friendly. But yes, it is possible to learn, and you'll do it just about as easily as with a full-size keyboard.
@retsgorf297 - Time to get yourself a typing game to play for a few weeks? ;)

How fast you can type doesn't necessarily mean you're a slow programmer.

True, but fast typing can help, especially when you're putting in some minor variation or other on some code that you already know how to do very well.
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
Is it possible to learn using a lapttop?
Considering the smaller key sizes. And i got relatively big fingers.

I learned on laptops.

@retsgorf297 - Time to get yourself a typing game to play for a few weeks? ;)

I know.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Can you stop? Don't bother with him, he's a troll.
Yeah, I can touch type on my laptop at about 80WPM but on my Linux desktop I can't type 20WPM without making some mistakes, so I got to get more practice in with it.
When I was at primary school, we had some lessons about how computers work, using word, paint, gimp, etc. Our teacher took lessons seriously(although we played a lot too), and we were required to learn some basic things.

So we had a program that would help us learn basic english words used with computers (or maybe I should say - programming). It included hexadecimal, compare, and some other words(honestly I can't remember, it was years ago), but it sure expanded our knowledge of English and computers.

Then, we had another program, called "Keyboard Master", which would first show you correct position of hands on keyboard, and then would throw some words at you, so that you can learn and practice.
It was actually great program, even though it was simple; it showed you your statistics(words per minute, characters per minute, how many mistakes did you make, etc.). It also had difficulty levels, so that some levels would simple include only using 2-3 fingers, and others would require you to go all the way through the keyboard.

Now I really appreciate this teacher. Not only he teached us many great things, but also get us to learn some practical skills. This really helped me to touch type.

But it wasn't only this, I also played piano when I was young, so generally I practised using keyboard. Now I don't even think about where buttons are, as I remember all of them.
Time to get a life?:P
@MatthewRock, Lol yeah.
Time to get a life
.....but hey! Now you're a programmer. You would never have a life.
Lol

Thanks for the answer tho.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12