This Man.

Pages: 12
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
Same here, unless you count Ruby as a programming language.

of course it is. i know where your going with this, but scripting languages like basic, python, ruby, php, javascript are all programming langauges
closed account (N36fSL3A)
... Well I think scripting languages are just that, different from programming languages.

But I see where this conversation is going, and I don't want another week-long argument, :P
There is no argument to it. Scripting languages are programming languages. Just because you don't think they are means nothing. That is like the programmers that say one language is terrible just because they don't like it.
... Well I think scripting languages are just that, different from programming languages.

What defines a "scripting language" anyway? You can make a Python compiler, would it be a programming language then?
@firedraco
I was going to bring that up in my post. The only real difference in scripting languages and languages like C++ is scripting is interpreted by default, and the other 'programming languages' are compiled. That said, you can easily change them as you can compile python, ruby, perl, lua, etc (in fact I think a few come with compilers (I know lua does)), but you can find interpreters for C/C++ just as an example.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I can't speak for the other languages since I have never programmed in them but I know Python is actually very easy to compile into a .exe with PyInstaller or py2exe.

Though whether or not a language is compiled or not doesn't determine whether it is a programming language. So as others have said I have no idea why you think scripting languages aren't programming languages Lumpkin.
closed account (N36fSL3A)
No no no, I DON'T want to start an argument. Please let's refrain from this.

I guess those are not compiled languages, and programming ones I believed were compiled ones.

So I guess the right words would be compile & not compiled.
Lumpkin wrote:
No no no, I DON'T want to start an argument. Please let's refrain from this.

Are you that naive? This argument has been going for decades with no sign of ever stopping. The arguments will always start because every programmer has a different belief of what is good or bad and why each language is good or bad.
Lumpkin wrote:
I guess those are not compiled languages, and programming ones I believed were compiled ones.

We just pointed out that that has nothing to do with whether they are programming languages or not. You can find C++ interpreters that read and execute your source code one line at a time, and Lua comes with a compiler.
but you can find interpreters for C/C++ just as an example.

CERN has a C/C++ interpreter.

http://root.cern.ch/drupal/content/cint
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
@cheraphy: im trying to install cint, but its not working. i ran the first two commands, but now its saying
./configure: 23: ./configure: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Yeah, I get the same thing. These two lines give that error.
ARCHS=(linux linuxicc macgcc djgpp cygwin mingw mwerks hpux aix msvc7 msvc8 solaris solarisgcc)
EXPORTS=(ARCH CC CFLAGS CMACROS COMP CPP COUT COUTEXE INCP CXX CXXFLAGS CXXMACROS \
    LD LDFLAGS LDOUT LIBP LIBL SOFLAGS SOOUT OBJEXT EXEEXT \
    SOEXT LIBEXT IMPLIBEXT DEBUG DEFAULTLIBS CINTEXINCDIR CINTEXLIBDIR REFLEXINCDIR \
    REFLEXLIBDIR MANGLEPATHS STREAMDIR PLATFORMO EXPLLINK \
    BUILDREADLINE READLINELIB CURSESLIB EXP_READLINELIB EXP_CURSESLIB RM MV PREFIX \
    INPUTMODE INPUTMODELOCK AR EXTRACTSYMBOLS MAKEIMPLIB )
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12