Homework cplusplus.com Members Survey

I have an English assignment where I have to survey the members of this site for some research. I will not use your name or username for my project without your express permission. I also need two interviews, so if you would be fine with an interview, please indicate that at the end of your response with your permission to use your information (if applicable). When responding to this survey, it would be highly appreciated if you could use the question numbers to indicate question you are answering.

Answering these questions is completely optional, so you don't have to answer all of them if you feel any are too personal or you just don't want to answer one.

Questions with a * are more or less required by my class. I translated them so that they would be relevant to my topic (tried to anyways).

1. How long have you been programming (any language)?

2. How long have you been programming (C++)?

3. What was your first programming language?

4. What is your preferred programming language?

5. Why did you start programming?

6. Do you program professionally? If so, in what language and for how long have you programmed professionally?

7. How did you find this site, and why did you join? *

8. What do you use this site for the most? *

9. Do you often help others on the forum?

10. If you often help others on the forum, what is your reasoning for continuing to help others? *

11. What are your thoughts on this site's community? *

12. What is the goal of this site? *
(I just need to know what people think the goal of the website is)

13. What makes a beginner different from an expert? *
(Essentially, is there anything that specifically separates them or is there a fine line between the two?)

14. What are some terms one should know to better understand members of this site? *
(commonly used keywords that an average person wouldn't immediately understand)

15. What is some advice you would give to somebody using or planning on using this site now or in the future?

EDIT: Interviews will be conducted either over e-mail or PM (unless you wish otherwise).

16. How long have you been a member of this site?
Last edited on
closed account (jwkNwA7f)
I'm sorry; I won't be able to do the interview. But, I can answer some questions:

1. 1.5 years
2. A little less than the number above ( I did others for a little while, but now I am back doing C++)
3. C++
4. C++
5. My Dad was an electronic engineer, so that got me interested in the computer stuff. Then, he mentioned something about programming, so I decided to do it.
6. No, I program for a hobby typically.
7. When I googled questions, I almost always found the answers here.; To ask about I a problem I had.
8. Now, when I have time, I am normally answering questions and in the lounge.
9. When I have some free time, I normally browse around for questions I can answer.
10. I just enjoy answering and trying to solve problems.
11. I really like it. I have been on some other forums, and this one is definitely the best.
12. To help programmers get their answers, etc.
13. Well, you would have to know a lot about it to be an expert. And, a beginner wouldn't know a lot, obviously.
14. Nice, helpful, etc. Especially me JK
15. USE CODE TAGS!!

Hope this helped!
1. 6 years
2. 2.5 years
3. Python
4. Depends, python for small scripts, C++ for anything bigger
5. I love maths and logic and my english teacher suggested it
6. No, although I do participate regularly in algorithmic competitions
7. I found it after searching "good c++ forums" on google
8. Getting algorithmic solutions and participating in lounge topics
9. When I can, which is probably 1/100 posts
10. I enjoy teaching and giving knowledge, and sometimes I can learn a thing or two as well
11. The best I have come across
12. To promote C++ and help its members. (Is this really a question we should be answering?)
13. Varies according to opinion. To me, someone knowledgeable in a certain field could be seen as an expert in it.
14. Do not understand the question.
15. Read the first post of every board before posting. Also follow what those pages say to the 'T' until you know more.

22 years (counting from the first time I was paid to write a program, which was in high school)

16 years (by the same measure, although first full-time C++-only job was just 9 years ago)

DEC PDP-11 assembly language

C++

Because making a machine do things on its own is cool.

6. Do you program professionally? If so, in what language and for how long have you programmed professionally?

Yes, for 17 years counting from the first proper programming-only job (but not every job after that was programming). I started by using C with occasional assembly and scripting languages, about 9 years ago switched to C++ (with occasional C, Fortran, and scripting languages)

7. How did you find this site, and why did you join?

Found it by google searches on C++ topics. Joined because others find it by google searches on C++ topics, in hope to improve the quality of what they find, to the best of my ability.

8. What do you use this site for the most?

Reading new posts in the forum and posting answers when I have a moment. Fighting the temptation to join lounge threads.

Assuming my answers are helpful, yes.

10. If you often help others on the forum, what is your reasoning for continuing to help others?

I'm trying to post answers that would give an insight on how things are done in real-life C++ software engineering (as opposed to college assignments or one-man hobby projects). My posts may not be admissible as homework, but hopefully they can suggest something the original poster should read about if they plan on working as a programmer. When hiring, it's very hard to find people familiar even with the basics (what software industry considers basics) of C++. I blame both the abysmal college education and the plethora of misinformation readily available online (and in books!). Things are improving now, thanks to all the attention gathered by the C++11 effort, but still, if I can make the online C++ resources a tiny bit better, this is time well spent.

11. What are your thoughts on this site's community?

The forum (I am making a distinction from the rest of the site) is very active and has several regulars who know C++ enough to keep the answers generally trustworthy - perhaps not as much as on StackOverflow, but this forum is also very beginner-friendly (case in point; while putting together this post, I stopped by StackOverflow and closed yet another beginner question as poorly-researched. I would have answered it here.).

12. What is the goal of this site?

I can only guess, but what the forum is used for is to answer C++ questions, discuss C++, and related (and sometimes unrelated) topics.

13. What makes a beginner different from an expert?

knowledge, understanding, experience.. what kind of answer do you expect here?

14. What are some terms one should know to better understand members of this site?

"spoonlicker", maybe. There isn't a lot of forum-specific lingo. People do use C++ and general programming terms, but they are usually searchable online.

15. What is some advice you would give to somebody using or planning on using this site now or in the future?

use code tags, post complete compiler diagnostics and self-sufficient, compilable code samples that reproduce what the question is about.

If you count C, since November of last year. If you count my weak attempt in HTML and/or Javascript, then it's been a couple years.

Since January.

The first language I took seriously was C.

Not enough experience to answer this.

I decided one day I should get a head start on one aspect of my major.

Nope.

While googling for some answers, this site popped up as one of the results.

I usually look through the reference section and browse the forum for interesting topics I did not know I did not know about.

Sometimes, though I often fear the validity of my statements.

10. If you often help others on the forum, what is your reasoning for continuing to help others? *

Passing on knowledge gets those endorphins flowing.

It is just like any other online community.

To teach amatuers how to write correct and efficient C++ programs as well as teach the cons and pros of C++ compared to other languages.

(Essentially, is there anything that specifically separates them or is there a fine line between the two?)

Experience.

14. What are some terms one should know to better understand members of this site? *

No idea.

Research first before asking. I myself have found answers to many of my own questions from researching or googling.

If you look at my profile, it says I have been a member since January 23rd, 2013 at 1613.

I also need two interviews, so if you would be fine with an interview, please indicate that at the end of your response with your permission to use your information (if applicable).

If this "information" is just my username sure. And I don't mind a follow up interview.
Thanks everybody for doing this survey. All of your answers will be really helpful. However, I need two interviews. I would appreciate it is another person would allow me to interview them or if any of you could spread the word on this survey. It is required for my class and I don't want to be the person that uses two threads to accomplish one goal.
First time I attempted basic I was 11, but I don't count that so ~7 years

~7 years

~C++ (or dark basic)

~kinda depends, I'm really loving haskell right now

~ I wanted to make a video game for this awesome story I was writing (at 11) and then because that gave me a taste of something that became my passion.

Not yet, I'd like to go into AI research though

Googled for C++ reference, found this website.
Joined for the beginners, stayed for the lounge.

lounge

Nope, not nearly enough.

See 9
Genuinely great. I lurk daily. Have since I joined in 08 or so. Names that stand out most for me are Grey Wolf, Chrisname Duoas, Disch, Hamsterman, Albatros, Helios.

To be a learning resource

Difficulty in questions being asked

CAn't think of any

Ignore the trolls, read the TOS, don't ask for others to do your homework.

5 years, I think? Close to it.
I did some HTML when I was about 10 but that wasn't long lived.

I would have to say for about a year.

First language was HTML. I also did some actionscript 2.0 a long time ago.

I would have to say c++

For a hobby and possibly a career later in life.

No.

Google and at first so I could get help and to learn better. Now to try and help people that I can.

The reference section when I forget something or to try and help people on forums.

Yes. Well try to.

The best way to learn is to try and figure out others problems and fix them.

There are good apples and bad apples just like anywhere you go but I'd have to say more good ones. There are often times people who are completely illiterate and/or want you to do their assignments for them.
ex: "Ask your question here:
i got dis assignment were i need to output txt plz post da code
kthxbye"

Most times people like me will not even reply to people that are too lazy to remove the "Ask your question here:" or you can tell do not care at all. Also people who spam/bump every 30 mins and complain about it taking to long for a response. Everyone here is a volunteer.

To help people become better programmers( mainly in c++ ).

The style of coding is completely different. Though I would probably put myself somewhere near the bottom. Not exactly a beginner but I'm not a pro either. Maybe a little under intermediate.

c++ != c
AFAIK = as far as I know
OP = original poster
OPP = object oriented programming

Please ASK questions in a manner we can understand and do not say "Help!!!! My code isn't working". Well what exactly is not working? Post some code that you believe is the source of your problem then explain the problem. Do NOT ask for code "I have an assignment where I need to add two numbers please provide code." You can though ask for an example like "How do you add two numbers together?"

EDIT: Interviews will be conducted either over e-mail or PM (unless you wish otherwise).

Not sure exactly you can check my profile though :P

17 or 19 years depending how you take it.

17 years

BASIC in 7th and 8th grades, but the 17 years starts back in 9th grade when I started learning C++. Counting BASIC it was 19 years for number 1.

C++

To make games, got into it after I play Mortal Kombat.

No

Only C++ site I know of.
Try to use it for everything.
I don't need a reason why I help.
Like any other community, has the normal sets, helpful, annoying, trolls, jerks, etc.
12. What is the goal of this site? *(I just need to know what people think the goal of the website is)
Self explanatory and doesn't really lose anything in interpretation. To help those interested to get into C++ and programming.

Experience.
14. What are some terms one should know to better understand members of this site? *(commonly used keywords that an average person wouldn't immediately understand)

Nothing, every common word would work for this site.

There is none to give, they either use the site or they don't, advice won't change that.

2 years.

I don't do interviews as I have nothing worthy of passing on.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0

Started in uni 4 years ago, but didn't accomplish anything until 2 years ago... so I'd say 2 years.

One year and half

C

C++

I wanted to be a developer for a private WoW server, but that was a lot of time ago.

I'm supposed to start next week if everything's good. Developing OpenERP modules using python and XML

Googling a problem. I joined to ask a question.

I (try to) help beginners. I also read most of the lounge threads.

Not as often as most of the regulars, but i think I can say yes.

I like the feeling of being helpful.

I respect most of the regulars for their expertise and friendliness. There are some people that I wish would leave or stop posting.

Provide a big(?) reasource to help people learning C++

I don't know, there isn't a clear definition of "expert". Experience seems a good answer.

If I understand the question correctly: undefined behavior, segmentation fault, memory leak.

Google it first, use code tags, don't post homework assignments if you want someone to do them for you.

One year four months.

----------
I'm fine doing the interview.
Last edited on
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
>1. How long have you been programming (any language)?
about three - four years

>2. How long have you been programming (C++)?
probably two and a half

>3. What was your first programming language?
html, css. the first real language i learned was c

>4. What is your preferred programming language?
depends on the project:
lower level stuff: c/c++/assembly
quick hacks: python
web based: php, css, js

>5. Why did you start programming?
my dad is a huge nerd and got me started

>6. Do you program professionally? If so, in what language and for how long have you programmed >professionally?
nope

>7. How did you find this site, and why did you join? *
honestly i cant remember how i found it, but i joined for the c++

>8. What do you use this site for the most? *
getting help, helping others, but mostly the lounge (thats where the real fun is ;) )

>9. Do you often help others on the forum?
if they arent rude (&&)&&(||) vague

>10. If you often help others on the forum, what is your reasoning for continuing to help others? *
im a huge open source fan so helping others seems to go with the idea of open source

>11. What are your thoughts on this site's community? *
its a great range of skills to help you with a lot of problems

>12. What is the goal of this site? *
>(I just need to know what people think the goal of the website is)
to write the best damn perl scripts this php forum has ever seen

>13. What makes a beginner different from an expert? *
>(Essentially, is there anything that specifically separates them or is there a fine line between the two?)
i dont think there is a clear cut definition, just at every case. like someone who can make a port scanner might be considered a bit of an expert while one who is trying to write functions inside of main wouldnt

>14. What are some terms one should know to better understand members of this site? *
>(commonly used keywords that an average person wouldn't immediately understand)
imo: in my opinion, fyi: for your information

>15. What is some advice you would give to somebody using or planning on using this site now or in the >future?
rtfm

i cant really remember. total would be probably two years. this account particularly; close to one

edit: sure ill do an interview if you still need one
Last edited on
Thank you all for responding to my threads. I really needed this for class and I didn't have my two required interviews. I will be contacting some of you who are willing to do an interview tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks again to all of you!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.