make me love maths?

Hi,i really want to learn and get into maths however i do not have the passion or love the subject. I really want this passion and interest for the subject, are there any documentaries etc. That will make me want to learn maths?
I'm not joking when I suggest Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land or Fantasia. Also I've been inspired by NASA's website about the principles of rocketry more then a few times: http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/TRCRocket/rocket_principles.html

The problem is that a real interest in this stuff usually starts when a person is young, so most of these things are aimed at a younger audience.
Last edited on
What level of mathematics are you at? (basic algebra (variables, functions, etc), calculus, pre-calc, trig??)

You will get a LOT of basic algebra excersize from programming (variables, deriving formulas to calculate somthing, just basic stuff). As for the advanced math (parabolas, polynomial simplification/operations, polar coordinates, and more complicated stuff like dirivatives), I have never needed it, but then I have niether proffessional experience, nor the expertise to say whether you will or not.

If you want to learn math, try kahnacademy (https://www.khanacademy.org). They are awsome.
Last edited on
It gets fun when you get past the basics. Calculus is a lot of fun. The whole discrete side of things is pretty interesting also.
If I'm honest I don't agree with Biscuit... Although most of calculus is pretty easy, I don't find it "fun" (just an opinion though).

What I like is when you actually find a problem in life where maths is the answer and spend like a month trying to figure it out... Just for that moment when you finally figure out the working solution.

Example? I'm working on a massive game engine and I came across a problem trying to detect 3D collision... I couldn't understand how other people had done it, (mostly how it's explained) but through perseverance I've worked out my own algorithms to transform vectors, create planes, and test for point collisions.
I'M A BOSS!
Numberphile is a rather wonderful Youtube channel all about mathematics. It's pretty inspiring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCu_BNNI5x4

This documentary really made me like maths more too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcXxHZssCh4
I'm not joking when I suggest Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land
That cartoon made me love math in grade school.
While I am not going to lie, calculus is fun. I also do prefer those long term math (or math intensive programming) problems.

@OP
In order to get into maths, you would have to actually have to change your interests, which is not an easy thing to do. However, if you do want to try: find another area that interest you (sport, etc.) and link maths to it. For example, with sport you can use maths (and a little physics) to calculate how a table tennis ball will react under certain conditions. Just make math practical, it will probably help. If you dislike it because you do not understand it I would seriously using ever single (constructive) web site that is posted here.
The problem is that peoples experience with math though most of their education is mostly just learning math for the sake of knowing it, but rarely is any of it used.

Maybe ask yourself why you want to love math? Do you just want a hobby, or do you want to be able to use it for something else?

You could write a calculator program. You could write a program that does mathematical simulations.. You could write a game that uses geometry and vector math. program which uses physics, a program which uses statistics ...

Or you could start looking into learning abstract math. Some math is like puzzle solving, and that can be fun.

Just think of math as power. If you level up in your math skills, you can do some cool stuff with it.
javascript:editbox2.editSend()
And maybe the desire to do cool stuff with math in the future will help motivate you to put in the time learning it.
Last edited on
Maths*, maths*, maths* and maths*
XD

If an item is plural them its shortened name should be plural (please! XD)
If an item is plural them its shortened name should be plural (please! XD)

True, but last time I checked slang does not obey grammar rules.
True, but last time I checked slang does not obey grammar rules.

However, "math" really annoys me, though this is probably entirely nationality related slang, so you can't tell. What I'm trying to say is, @SatsumaBenji is probably British or something, so that he thinks of it as "maths", whereas you are probably American, in which case "math" is the common slang term.

That is the thing about slang: It is entirely dependent on your demographic group and location.
whereas you are probably American, in which case "math" is the common slang term.

You are quite far off about me: I do not live in America, and my country uses the British System of English ('ou' in colour and 's' in realise).
It is just that informal grammar used in informal environments (such as the lounge section of this forum) has no real grammatical issues so long as people know what you mean and you aren't being crude. Also, SatsumaBenji must have know what we were talking about considering he corrected us.

That is the thing about slang: It is entirely dependent on your demographic group and location.

True, however many people believe that everyone is either from Europe or America, which is quite weird considering that statistically speaking I am way more likely to be Asian.
True, however many people believe that everyone is either from Europe or America, which is quite weird considering that statistically speaking I am way more likely to be Asian.

On an English speaking forum about coding?
closed account (3qX21hU5)
On an English speaking forum about coding?

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Many Asians know English (English is the language of the internet so most non native English speaking people usually learn to at least read and write it) and many Asians know and like coding also.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Many Asians know English (English is the language of the internet so most non native English speaking people usually learn to at least read and write it) and many Asians know and like coding also.

If this is all true, where are all the Asian on this forum? Is it the level of English required to talk about technical topics? Do they have their own Asian forums in their own languages?
@ Mats: Asian might be a bad example but you may be surprised at how many South\Central Americans we have on this forum.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I was just trying to point out that just because someone speaks English doesn't mean they have to be from America or the UK.

I agree Asians aren't probably the best example but Middle Eastern probably is the best example http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/cplusplus.com considering they are the majority that use this forum. Or at least browse it.
That site has added a few fields since the last time I've looked at it. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who browses here from work :P.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.