• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Why is everyone complaining about YouTub

Why is everyone complaining about YouTube?

Pages: 12
https://plus.google.com/112311439875696802437/posts/KrYjKNeYsZV

Bob is all over YouTube, and people seem to hate the new comment system. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, if anything. Can someone explain, in a non-aggrivated tone, what their discomforts are with it?

To me, it's an improvement, but people just aren't used to change. What confuses me is that this particular change is being resisted much more strongly than past changes - why?
closed account (Dy7SLyTq)
i dont use it but i have some off topic questions if you could please answer them real quick...
a) i thought google plus is dead?
b) whats up with the LB in the green square? its on github too.
c) whats up with the name LB?
/offtopic
What confuses me is that this particular change is being resisted much more strongly than past changes - why?

Because people who comment on YouTube are stupider than most. Any change from stupider to... less stupid... confuses them.

http://xkcd.com/481/
Last edited on
Instead of hijacking a thread to ask personal questions, you could PM me...
@LB
I don't see anything wrong with the new system. I actually love the new system. The old one made me think of twitter as you had a limit per post so you couldn't fully express your opinion. Now, the new system has no limit so you can fully express your opinion without having to drop words or replace words with what I have come to call yahoo-isms (4 instead of for, 2 instead of to, etc.). I've just come to accept that those who want to complain, will find the tiniest damn things to complain about just to feel better about themselves. So let them hate it, I'm sure there are way more that love it.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Youtube has comments ? Since when...
closed account (N36fSL3A)
@BHXSpecter

I love the removed post limit on comments, but the structure of the comments is horrible. If they kept the old structure and removed the post limit, everything would be just fine. The Google+ integration was the stupidest idea ever, it's a shame no one's going to change it due to the hard work and effort the employees put into the project.

People will b*tch, they will complain, but in the end they'll have to suck it up because they will never get their way and will eventually bow down to YouTube like they have in the past. It's pathetic really. That's why I don't bother doing what I have been doing for every major change until now, when I was younger and more ignorant.

That little rebellion junk isn't going to work in the end, they're just wasting precious bytes that could be put into a more useful comment.

People will never understand sadly.
I'm just a sucker for markdown formatting in comments :)

_italic_
-strike-
*bold*

Plus you can post watch page URLs to link to videos and a few other things that I am forgetting (hashtags?)
Shouldn't it be /italic/ and _underline_?
@Lumpkin

The only structure change is that now the posts are categorized by likes and dislikes. The old structure was that they categorized them by number of replies, which made some things that were just spam marked as top comments because of users replying to chastise the original commenter. The new structure is by far more accurate as you have to like it in order for them to be considered for top commenter.

Also, Google+ integration wasn't an idea. Google owns YouTube now so it is no surprise that they integrated their stuff into it.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
@chrisname: Yeah, I would agree with that - currently there is no way to do underline.
Semantically, italics and underline are the same thing...
great xkcd link. :)
Duoas' first post post http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/118455/#msg645824 was hidden for me until now - honestly even though it is ordered above my post it was not visible when I refreshed the page after making my post. So I missed it until now - I blame the forum software having a tendency to act strange when two posts have the same timestamp.

Anyway, I think you're right Duoas. Thanks.
Last edited on
I liked it when YouTube showed the comments according to the date they were posted. The top comments section on the front page outweighs the problem you've showed above. They should at least add a option. (Layout):

Uploader Comments:

Top Comments:

Comments:

Then no one will complain.
I don't actually read YouTube comments... so my participation here is rather arbitrary... but I tend to prefer commentary that is chronological. Does the new system not allow that?
Yes, but then I wont be able to see the top comments/uploader comments.
@Duoas
People do that even when you face them with facts. They just can't fathom something that proves them wrong. For me, being married has made me regularly wrong so I have come to accept I don't know everything (and don't want that burden).

@LB
I think that G+ discussion is a lost cause. It appears they just want to complain about the system no matter what you say.
@Duoas The new system allows sorting by date or by rating/discussion.

@BHXSpecter yeah.
@LB
The comical part is that Nerdy's reply on the G+ conversation at the end proves Duoas' first post's point pretty good in my mind.
Pages: 12