Who here uses torrents to download movies

Pages: 12
closed account (3qX21hU5)
I call it curiosity

Then download the legal trial instead?

i didnt get my win 8 pirated byt its not sad becuz fucking Microsoft Sell it for i think it wa $50000,0000

I'll ignore the ungodly grammar and just skip to your argument that it is okay to pirate software because you can't afford it. I've said this many times before but I never really understood that argument.

The fact of the matter is getting that new game or new piece of software isn't life or death for you. It is a want not a need and if you can't afford it tough shit deal with it in my opinion.

I can't afford a Porsche but you don't see me going to a car dealership and stealing one off their lot do you? No you don't. If most people can't afford something they don't get it plain and simple.

It's called living within your means and in my opinion most (Not all) people in younger generations (Mine included) seem to have no idea what this means for some reason.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents on the matter and with that said I will drop out of this conversation since I have been trying to avoid these types of discussions lately.
Last edited on
General rule, if you have to worry about being caught and legal actions taken against you, then it is illegal and definitely something wrong with it.

Tell this to African Americans 70 years ago.
General rule, if you have to worry about being caught and legal actions taken against you, then it is illegal and definitely something wrong with it.

*cough* drug policy *cough cough*

edit: residentBiscuit I quoted that and was going to say the exact same thing, but saw you did, and decided on this
Last edited on

Since we're jumping on BHXSpecter, I'll add in my own example. Once upon a time, sex between homosexuals (not even marriage) was illegal in a considerable fraction of the states in the United States until 2003.

The point being is that just because something is legal or illegal doesn't mean it's right or wrong, respectively. Some might consider that the ideal legal code, but that is not something that we have anywhere in the world.

Now. As for pirating Windows, I loathe Microsoft for their peddling inferiority to the world, and shoving it down our throats whenever it can. I avoid their products as best as I can (except Skype, but they haven't gotten any money out of me for that).

HOWEVER, I wouldn't pirate Windows because even if I consider it a colossal heap of pernicious crapware (okay, I don't hate it THAT much) and buying it would probably put an excessive portion of the money in the pockets of executives that I do not wish to overburden with financial success, ultimately a group of most likely talented individuals did put a good amount of effort into it (I hope), and some of that money does go to them.

My decision whether to buy or Pirate Windows would most likely not affect them in the slightest, but I still can't help but remember that pirating a cracked copy of Windows would, at the very least, be somewhat rude.

Besides, there's no way I'm letting that substantial pile of putrid software near my system. :P

[/windows_hate]

-Albatross
Cheraphy wrote:
I plead the 3rd.

Did anyone else get the joke?
Did anyone else get the joke?

Well, regardless of whether anyone did or did not, at least now that the whole ordeal is over he has a psychosadistic girlfriend AND his hat.

-Albatross
I'm glad people did.
Had to google the 3rd amendment.......... failure...
Ahh, funnily enough I do read xkcd and have seen that specific one before but it did not leap into my cerebrum and take the reins.
I had something long typed up and erased it just to say this. Piracy is illegal. Using anything that has copyrighted material without paying for it is copyright infringement.
Piracy is illegal

I'd add the words "in the United States (and most/all other countries?) at this time" to be a bit more concise. Though I agree far more with the ban on piracy than drugs (Still a bad idea kids, don't overdo it).
Is it just copyright infringement or does intellectual property factor into it as well?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
sargon94 wrote:
Is it just copyright infringement or does intellectual property factor into it as well?
Copyright is IP.
> Using anything that has copyrighted material without paying for it is copyright infringement.
fyi copyleft and creative commons are supported by copyright laws.

I don't like the meaning of `use'. By instance, you can listen to the music, but you can't put it in the background of a film.

> Piracy is illegal
yes, ¿so?

> I use torrents to download movies whenever the download is legal
I started with `Du Sköna'
Last edited on
sargon94 wrote:
A Copyright is legally recognized and documented proof of Intellectual Property ownership within a jurisdiction if that helps clarify it. It's similar to a Patent but it's not for anything that is necessarily a unique invention or idea.
I should start Wikipedia-ing everything I'm not 100% sure about.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12