• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Who here acctually buys movies, music tv

 
Who here acctually buys movies, music tv shows, e.t.c.

Pages: 123... 8
I just pirate them, who buys them.
Why shouldn't I buy them? If I like something, I want to own it. If I've just pirated it, I don't really think that I own it, so even if I have, I buy it anyway. Also, especially for smaller music bands and the like, if I like them, then buying their music is like me saying 'Thanks! I like your music!' to them, so its more likely that they would be willing (and actually able) to make more music for me to enjoy. The only time I would pirate is if it was something like a really old game or something, and it isn't actually possible to buy 'properly' due to the company not actually existing.
I do. When I was young, I also thought that pirating isn't wrong. But then again, I was not aware of many things that I am aware of now. If I like something, I will consider buying it. E.g. if I really like this indie studio that developed this game I really like, I will most likely buy their next game, or at least donate them. Sure it does not provide me with any physical reward. But I show my gratitude to them. I know that it's important that these people receive some money, because then they know that what they are doing is good, that people like it, and they will have funds to continue their job. If I don't, they will go bankrupt(okay; let's face it - I'm not their only hope, but if everyone thought the same, then they would go bankrupt). Simple as that. No point in stealing from the good guys.
moodle2drajner wrote:
...who buys them.
people that value others work.
I don't know why you wouldn't buy movies. Not buying movies is kinda wrong.

I only pirate games to test them out, then I always buy them.
I used to, before basically everything got easier to get legally.

Like games, well - Steam. Movies/series, I can stream them from Netflix/Voddler* (... or some other sites that are kind of in the gray zone of everything here in Sweden) and for music I've got Spotify.

*but if they expect me to wait for 2 years to see something that is already released in USA, then they can... uhm, is swearing allowed in the forums here?
Meh, I think you get my point. Like Family Guy on Netflix, here in Sweden we can see from season 4 to 9, which is bullshit and if they expect people to not download stuff, they shouldn't restrict series/movies like that either.
I used to pirate stuff when I was 14-15, I used to have the "I'll never pay for this!"-mind.
Now that I'm 18, I've bought back all the things I thought deserved money.
Basically 90% of the games I pirated.

I even have four (Number: 4) physical copies of GTA: Vice City.

The only thing I'm still pirating is music.
But that's just for personal use, to save some bandwidth from YouTube.
Does caching data count as pirating?
The point of paying for free things is to support the content creators. If you don't want more content from those content creators, don't pay them.
Last edited on
I pirate software that costs like $1000 for a license.

I pirate movies but more often than not end up buying them anyway.

I don't usually pirate games because I can usually tell whether I'll like them or not from previews and such.

I pirated the **** out of Game of Thrones.

The only thing I really feel kind of bad about pirating is music.
Last edited on
Go I go into businesses like Best Buy and Walmart and steal all their computers, games, cd's, movies and other technology because I can't afford it or just don't want to pay for it. Ohh wait is that bad?
Last edited on
The argument that stealing digital software is the same as stealing physical objects is stupid. It's still wrong, but not the same.

The reason why I didn't pirate software that requires a license like VS2012 is because you can't sell what you make. That and it's wrong. If you can't pay for something then don't steal it, unless it's necessary.
The argument that stealing digital software is the same as stealing physical objects is stupid. It's still wrong, but not the same.


So please tell me how I am stupid? If stealing digital software not illegal where you live? It is not considered stealing? Can you not be punished by it? I am curious how you believe it is not the same and how it is stupid to say that it is?


If you can't pay for something then don't steal it, unless it's necessary.


So if it is necessary that I steal something it is somehow okay to do so? Who defines what is necessary? If I need to get to work but don't have a car to drive me would it be okay for me to steal a neighbors car because it was necessary?
Last edited on
When you steal a physical object, that object must be replaced, often at the expense of the owner.

When you pirate something digital, there's nothing to be replaced. No money is lost.
No money is lost? What the hell are you on about?!!!
When you steal a physical object, that object must be replaced, often at the expense of the owner.

When you pirate something digital, there's nothing to be replaced. No money is lost.


No money lost? I know what you are saying, but it does money to make them products and if they don't sell (Because everyone is pirating) they don't make the money back that was invested and money is lost and a lot of it.

So you are saying that if lets say 50% of a games buyers decide to pirate the game that the owner (The studio which made that game) is not losing out on anything? That just isn't true. Billions of dollars annually is being lost because of this problem and that money just isn't growing off trees. Just because the business doesn't have to spend money right then and their to replace a copy of it doesn't mean it isn't incurring a expense.

I will go back to the game studio example. They don't make money by buying up product and selling at a markup. Instead of putting money into inventory they are putting money into a future product. Developers, artists, managers, sound technicians, ect. don't come cheap and by the time a project is usually finished that have a good amount of time and money invested.

They use the money made from the sales of that game to get out of that debt and turn a profit. If a large portion of their user base decided that pirating is acceptable they wouldn't turn a profit and their investors/backers are out money.

Either way there is a expense to the owner (The studio, investor, or whatever) in both situations (Physical and digital).

I also don't really wanna get into the whole well them people might not have bought the game if it wasn't free in the first place because the same is true of stealing it in it's physical form (Which we consider bad but not pirating). If I walk into Walmart and say "Well you know I would never get that game unless it was free so you know it is okay that I steal it." how would that turn out?

It might be true that they might not have bought the game in the first place but that doesn't somehow justify the act itself.
Last edited on
Saying no money is lost when pirating digital material is like saying you're only paying for the box the product is in and the product itself.

You almost never pay for products - you almost always pay for the process to create products.
But when the options are pirate the product or don't use the product, the manufacturer is at no loss. Apply this to a physical product:
Either I steal a car from Mercedez, or don't drive a Mercedez. I steal the car, the manufacture is now out the whatever-thousand dollars it costs to produce that one car.

And I'm not justifying anything here. I'm just saying comparing the two is apples and oranges. I used the car as an example because I remember an anti-piracy ad getting aired with something along the lines of "You wouldn't steal a car would you?"
When you steal a product, someone else cannot buy it.

I have two apples which I will sell for $5 each. I could potentially make $10, and it took me $7 to get the apples.

Oh no, someone decided not to by any apples. Fine, I can still make up to $10.

Oh no, someone stole one of the apples. Now I can only make $5 total, at a $2 loss, unless I raise the price.
Last edited on
I don't see how that helps your point at all.
> If I like something, I want to own it
you've got a really weak concept of property.
There are a lot of restrictions to the use. By instance you can't play a disk for a lot of people, maybe you can't charge them for that service. Or you can't install windows in another computer.

There are a lot of restrictions to redistribution (or there wouldn't be a problem with `pirating')

There are restrictions to derivative works. You can't make a music video, or simply use it as bgm for your movie

¿what do you own then?


> The reason why I didn't pirate software that requires a license like VS2012
> is because you can't sell what you make.
¿ah?
you can always sell the source code.


> Either way there is a expense to the owner (The studio, investor, or whatever)
¿the artist?


@LB: I don't understand what you are trying to exemplify there that was not done by ResidentBiscuit.
Pages: 123... 8